[daip] No data areas defined after AIPS installation

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Thu Mar 21 10:31:32 EST 2002

Paul L. Fisher writes:
 > Your solution solved that problem (I didn't realize HOSTS.LIST converted
 > the hostname to upper case. I renamed everything using upper case and it
 > seems to work now) but now  I have a new problem. When I start AIPS it
 > asks for a user number and password. I've looked all through the
 > installation notes and the cookbook but I can't find anything that
 > describes how to generate these. Is this documented somewhere? Thanks.

The only user number for which it will ask for a password "out of the
box" is user number 1.  That number is for the AIPS Manager and has
special privileges.  That password is widely advertised AMANAGER.

All other numbers are your free choice.  At the NRAO we assign user
numbers to our visiting observers and many use that number at home
too.  Because AIPS has a fairly flat directory structure, many users
on their own desktops use several numbers in order to separate their
various projects.