[daip] Big AIPS problem

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Fri Mar 15 12:08:51 EST 2002

Mike Brotherton writes:

 > Hi there,
 >
 > We're no longer able to operate aips for one of our user
 > numbers (and we do have files here we'd like to access!).
 > An experienced aips user we contacted has seen this problem
 > before but the suggested solution did not work -- she advised
 > we email you.  Here is the problem:
 >
 > AIPS 2:                          31DEC01 AIPS:
 > AIPS 2:      Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Associated Universities, Inc.
 > AIPS 2:            AIPS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY;
 > AIPS 2:                 for details, type HELP GNUGPL
 > AIPS 2: This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
 > AIPS 2: under certain conditions; type EXPLAIN GNUGPL for details.
 > AIPS 2: Previous session command-line history recovered.
 > AIPS 2: TAB-key completions enabled, type HELP READLINE for details.
 > AIPS 2: ZFIO: OPER = READ LUN = 27 NREC =      193
 > AIPS 2: ZFI2: REQUEST FOR BYTES 196609 THRU = 197632 BEYOND EOF = 196608
 > AIPS 2: ZERROR: IN ZFI2   ERRNO = 22 (Invalid argument)
 > AIPS 2: DISK PROBLEM   CODES:       3      0

     The file that is corrupt is the LASTEXIT file for the particular
user.  This file is located in the first disk data area (listed as one
starts up aips but ahead of the messages you included).  Its name is

         SGDuuunnn,uuu;

where uuu is the user number in extended hex (EHEX UUU will tell you
uuu where UUU is the user number in decimal).   nnn is a sequence
number but the best bet is 001 for the LASTEXIT file.  Try just
removing that one and see how it goes.

      This corruption can occur if the user types exit and then at the
wrong moment does a Ctrl-C.

Eric Greisen