[daip] forwarded message from Chris Phillips

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Wed Mar 6 11:50:39 EST 2002

Is he likely to be right?  I suspect so but thought I had better ask.

------- start of forwarded message (RFC 934 encapsulation) -------
From: Chris Phillips <phillips at jive.nl>
To: Eric Greisen <egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu>
cc: Huib Jan van Langevelde <langevelde at jive.nl>
Subject: CVEL for JIVE data
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 17:39:21 +0100 (MET)

Hi Eric,

One year later, I have finally had the time and the right experiment
(1000 Jy methanol maser emission from W51) to test whether CVEL works
properly with JIVE data.

In a Nutshell, it doesn't. Basically the MarkIV correlators do fringe
rotation on a baseline basis (like the MarkIII correlators), but the first
antenna is rotated for MarkIV not the second antenna. For JIVE data, aips
assumes the first antenna was the reference antenna and gets the frequency
shift wrong. For EVN baselines with is of the order of 0.5 km/s error.
(For global baselines it is more like 2 km/s).

I got it to work with a change in DSHIFT. Basically I made the following
change:

C      IF (IREFST.EQ.0) ITEL = IANT1
C      IF (IREFST.GT.0) ITEL = IANT2
      ITEL = IANT2

So, is it possible to either:

 - Put a test in CVEL for either JIVE or a MarkIV correlator and set ITEL
   to the correct value (ie IANT2)
 - The IREFST set above is obviously meant to deal with this problem.
   However from memory you didn't think it was implemented in the rest of
   aips so it wouldn't work.

Let me know if you want any more info from me (or more justification for
my request, but I guess you don't really want to see a million plots
which show that CVEL works best with the above fix).

Cheers
Chris Phillips