[daip] Problem installing classic AIPS under Linux, 2nd request for help

Patrick P Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Fri Jun 21 16:03:55 EDT 2002

My apologies for the delay in responding.  I'm not formally part of the
AIPS group anymore, but I know the answer to this particular question.

> 	We're trying to install AIPS 31Dec2001 on a redhat 7.1 machine.
> We installed an earlier version of gcc (2.95.3), and spent hours
> crunching, only to have the installation fail a the end.  The error
> message is explicit but doesn't suggest a course of action to us.  Can you
> read it (it's below) and provide suggestions on what to do next?

Yes.  Configure a data area, e.g. (replace MYHOST with the uppercase
simple hostname here):

      cd /usr/local/src/AIPS/DATA
      mkdir MYHOST_1
      chmod g+ws MYHOST_1
      touch MYHOST_1/SPACE

Then edit /usr/local/src/AIPS/DA00/DADEVS.LIST and NETSP so that the
former contains a line:

+  /usr/local/src/AIPS/DATA/MYHOST_1

(exactly: a plus sign in column 1, two spaces, and the directory name) and
the latter has, e.g.

/usr/local/src/AIPS/DATA/MYHOST_1 365.0  0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

(the NETSP file explains what the numbers are).

> AipsWiz:  =====> Generate system files via FILAIP/POPSGN...

To do this by hand, type this:

     source /usr/local/src/AIPS/LOGIN.CSH         (csh or tcsh shells only)
or   . /usr/local/src/AIPS/LOGIN.SH               (bash, zsh, ksh, ash)

then

    RUN FILAIP

When it asks for numbers:

         #disks, #catalog entries per disk: 15 -100
          #interactive AIPS, #batch queues: 8 2
                              #tape drives: 4

(the first two numbers are 15 and MINUS 100).  Then do:

    RUN POPSGN

When asked for IDebug etc, give it:

    0 POPSDAT TST

and when it prompts with a ">", just press return.

This should give you a working AIPS system.

Hope this helps.

				- Pat
--
 Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.              Division Head, CV Computing, NRAO
 Home: http://www.chien-noir.com/    Work: http://www.nrao.edu/~pmurphy/