[daip] (no subject)

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Fri Jun 14 11:39:38 EDT 2002

>  We belong to Mathematic Department of Madeira University and we have a
>  problem installing the AIPS software in our Sun  Ultra station.  When
>  AIPS compile with gcc we have a lot of parse errors and the
>  instalation abort.
>
>  Can we solved this problem using the C sun compiler?Can you help us?
>
>  Below is a screen copy of the instalation process:
>
>  > Screen 11: Advanced Settings
>  > ----------------------------
>  > In general, the default settings for these advanced options will be OK.
>  > Please review the settings, and then decide if you want to change them.
>  >
>  >         AP settings are in PAPC.INC (cf $SYSLOCAL/INCS.SH)
>  >         Fortran settings are in $SYSLOCAL/FDEFAULT.SH
>  >         C settings are in $SYSLOCAL/CCOPTS.SH, and
>  >         Link settings are stored in $SYSLOCAL/LDOPTS.SH
>  >
>  > Current settings of advanced parameters:
>  >
>  >     AP Size (MB): 5 (for your memory size unknown KB, use 5 MB)
>  > FORTRAN Compiler: /usr/fortran/SUNWspro/bin/f77 (default /opt/SUNWspro/bin/f77)
>  >      and options: -c -fns -fsimple=1 -xarch=v8plusa -xlibmopt -dalign -ansi -u
>  >  default options: -c -fns -fsimple=1 -xarch=v8plusa -xlibmopt -dalign -ansi -u
>  >           Linker: /opt/SUNWspro/bin/f77 (default /opt/SUNWspro/bin/f77)
>  >       C Compiler: /usr/local/bin/gcc (default /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc)
>  >      and options: -v -c -I/usr/aips/31DEC02/INC -fns -fsimple=1 -xarch=v8plus \
>  >                 -dalign -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
>  >  default options: -v -c -I/usr/aips/31DEC02/INC -fns -fsimple=1 -xarch=v8plus \
>  >                 -dalign -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
>  > Readline Library:
>  >   Debug Libs too: NO
>  >
>  >          [You may also type B for back, or Q to Quit]
>  >
>  > AipsWiz: ===> [M]odify or [A]ccept (default Accept):

The compiler that you have requested here is the Sun compiler - note
the program name above under FORTRAN compiler etc.  The options
specified are also the options one would use with the sun compilers.
The files in your $SYSLOCAL (CCOPTS.SH, LDOPTS.SH, and FDEFAULT.SH)
will all the use these directories and options.  If you do not have
the Sun compiler, the installation will fail.

You can change these choices (edit ~/.AIPSRC and restart install.pl, or
edit the $SYSLOCAL files and run INSTEP2 and INSTEP4) to pint to the
correct compiler and compiler options for your system

We have found that the Solaris compilers produce faster code on
Solaris systems than does gcc.  We made that test a long time ago and
things may have changed.