[daip] forwarded message from Eric Greisen

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Tue Feb 19 14:55:03 EST 2002

------- start of forwarded message (RFC 934 encapsulation) -------
From: Eric Greisen <egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu>
To: "Pat Crosthwaite" <pat at astutenetworks.com>
Subject: RE: [daip] problems with newly installed aips on my linux box
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 12:54:25 -0700

Pat Crosthwaite writes:

 > thanks, i added the lines to /etc/services and started aips with tv=local.
 > that did the trick.  looks like i'm up and running on linux.

     Try it without the tv=local one time at least to make sure the
services are working.

 > is still have one question:  how do i access the solaris binaries ?  i dont
 > see anything explicit off the aips software web pages that points to this.
 > is there an ftp site were i can pick these up ?

You are right that the web site does not point at the binaries at all
well.  I guess we do not expect people to download 400 + files with a
browser.  The simplest way to get them is to order a Solaris CDrom of
31DEC01.  They should be available now - e-mail eallen at nrao.edu or
there is an order form on the www page somewhere (clickable on the
31dec01 page).

The ftp address is

   ftp://ftp.aoc.nrao.edu/pub/software/aips/31DEC01/SUL.

There are 6 directories below that and you need all the files.  There
are 469 files in the LOAD area - about 150 Mbytes in gzipped form.

The CD is easier and install.pl even knows how to do its thing from
the CD (that is very new).

Eric