[daip] problems with newly installed aips on my linux box

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Tue Feb 19 11:44:06 EST 2002

Pat Crosthwaite writes:

 > MSGserver: could not get msgserv service by name: No such file or directory
 > MSGserver: Check your /etc/services or NIS/YP map
 >
 > >tvinit
 > ZSSSL2 connect (INET): No route to host
 > AIPS 1: ZSSSLK: ERROR   1 ON LOCK
 > AIPS 1: ON LOCK ERROR    6 FROM ZSSSLK
 > AIPS 1: YTVOPN: TV LOCK OPEN ERROR      6
 > AIPS 1: TV OPEN ERROR      6

To do Inet servioces and remote tapes you do need to add things to the
/etc/services such as (at least one "tape" for FITS disk is required)

sssin           5000/tcp        SSSIN      # AIPS TV server
ssslock         5002/tcp        SSSLOCK    # AIPS TV Lock
msgserv         5008/tcp        MSGSERV    # AIPS Message Server
tekserv         5009/tcp        TEKSERV    # AIPS TekServer
aipsmt0         5010/tcp        AIPSMT0    # AIPS remote FITS disk access
aipsmt1         5011/tcp        AIPSMT1    # AIPS remote tape 1
aipsmt2         5012/tcp        AIPSMT2    # AIPS remote tape 2
aipsmt3         5013/tcp        AIPSMT3
aipsmt4         5014/tcp        AIPSMT4
aipsmt5         5015/tcp        AIPSMT5
aipsmt6         5016/tcp        AIPSMT6
aipsmt7         5017/tcp        AIPSMT7

 > i had requested UNIX servers rather than INET in the wizard, but

I wish Pat had not included this question since it is meaningless.
You always get a choice of both and the default is always Inet.  To
have local servers (only run for you and for the 1 machine) you have
to say tv=local on the aips command line (see man aips or, from inside
aips, HELP AIPS for details - or chapter 2 of the CookBook)

 > do i need to add something to the /etc/services file or is something
 > else wrong ?

    Only the /etc/services I think

 > and i have another question:  are 31dec02 binaries for a sun/sparc/solaris
 > systems available ?

Binaries are not available for any system in 31DEC02.  Linux and
Solaris binaries are available for 31DEC01.  In principle, 31DEC02
changes every day so there is no way we can build a binary area avery
day.  You should consider the MNJ for your new Linux system - it is
relatively easy now since ssh is no longer required.