[daip] problems with the installation

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Wed Feb 13 11:10:06 EST 2002

Irini Sakelliou writes:

 > running the install.pl. However, I had to edit the START_TVSERVERS and
 > START_AIPS and change the USEUNIXSOCK=NO to 'YES' (in START_AIPS) and the
 > line SOCKTYPE=INET to 'UNIX' (in START_TVSERVERS).

     Actually, both types of TV are normally available and this is not
an important distinction.  The SOCKTYPE controls only the default.

 > called AIPS_MSGSRV_1, and the other one AIPS_TEKSRV_1).

    The message window and a window for line plotting (TEKtronix)

 > (If I do ps -ef I get the following job that I do not understand it:
 > irini  2971     1  0 14:09:09 pts/11   0:00 ./TVSRV1).

     This is a lock daemon for the TV

 >    Disk 1 (1) is /xmm3/irini/AIPS/DATA/XUN5_1
 >    Disk 2 (2) is /xmm3/irini/AIPS/DATA/XUN5_2

     These need to be mentioned in the NETSP file to avoid the warning
message.

 > AIPS 1: ZDCHIN: NO NETSP ENTRY FOR DA01
 > AIPS 1: THIS MEANS THE TIMDEST LIMIT IS SET TO VALUE IN SP FILE OR 14.0
 > AIPS 1: ZDCHIN: NO NETSP ENTRY FOR DA02

 > XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
 > Shared memory id failure: Invalid argument

    On Suns the default maximum shared memory segment is 1 Megabyte
even though their TV screens are larger than that.  Add to the
/etc/system file the lines:

* Large shared memory segment for AIPS TV, from Dave Brown
*   GEM, 20 Mar 98

set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=8388608

This is 8 Megabytes which should do fine for true color (needs 4-6
Megabytes) depending on the number of pixels on your screen.

 > ZVTPO3: tcp/aipsmt0 is not a service
 > ZVTPO3: check /etc/services or NIS map!

You should add 1 mt0 service to your /etc/services (or YP services)
since we run one TPMON for access to FITS disk files.  With no real
tape devices you only need aipsmt0 service.

 > XUN5  > TPMON1: ZVTPRO: CHANNEL ASSIGN ERROR FOR REMOTE TAPE LUN   16

This is the message caused by the service being missing.