[daip] Re: aips help!

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Tue Feb 5 17:28:10 EST 2002

Neal Miller writes:

 > but I'm having a problem using Susan's exabyte drive
 > remotely.
 >
 > For some background, we have ironed out some of the initial
 > problems. First up, we had to make sure "ssh" didn't prompt
 > for passwords within our local network. We also had to make
 > sure the REMOTE_ROOT environment variable was set correctly,
 > since we don't have AIPS installed in the default location
 > at each machine. The last minor detail we attended to was
 > making sure my account was privileged to write to Susan's
 > disk, so the tape lock file could be written. So I am able
 > to boot up AIPS with the "tp" option set to her machine,
 > and it successfully starts up the TPMON jobs. I can mount
 > and dismount tapes on her machine, but the problem arises
 > when I try to actually read a tape. Here's an example of the
 > output and error codes:

 > > >go fitld
 > > FITLD1: Task FITLD  (release of 31DEC01) begins
 > > FITLD1: Reading tape drive number   2
 > > AIPS 1: Resumes
 > > >FITLD1: ZTPOPR: REMOTE TAPE SYSTEM RETURNS ERROR CODE      6
 > > FITLD1: ZTPOPN: REMOTE OPEN ERROR   6 TO

      Two things about this: There should be a host name here and it
is missing which disturbs me.  Error 6 indicates some other problem as
well - saying that you could not open the tape due to very basic aips
errors.  May I make a suggestion?  FITLD is the largest and most
complicated task in all of aips - in other words a lousy debug tool.
Just try rewind or tphead inside aips - that should test all that is
needed.

Could you send me the TPDEVS.LIST file for your system?  There is one
possibility I should check.

 > > FITLD1: TAPIO: ERROR   6 OPENING FILE
 > > FITLD1: ERROR      8 OPENING TAPE
 > > FITLD1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
 > > FITLD1: h2           31DEC01 TST: Cpu=       0.0  Real=      20
 > >  Note: IEEE floating-point exception traps enabled:
 > >     overflow;  division by zero;  invalid operation;
 > >  Nonstandard floating-point mode enabled
 > >  See the Numerical Computation Guide, ieee_handler(3M), ieee_sun(3M)
 >
 > Can you provide some assistance and advice? We've confirmed
 > that my tape is OK by having Susan read it in from her AIPS
 > on her machine, so the issue is something to do with remote
 > access of the tape drive.

There should be messages from TPMON in your message server window
about errors.

 > Thanks in advance for your help. I hope things are going
 > well in Socorro. I'm looking forward to getting out there
 > this summer, as I should be at the AAS meeting in Albuquerque.

I will be away at that time.