[daip] GNE gcc 3.0.3

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Mon Feb 4 18:17:02 EST 2002

There was a report of a failure using the GNU 3.0.3 compiler.  I have
tried a version of AIPS with the 3.0.2 compiler and found no problems.
Sio I downloaded and built 3.0.3.  AIPS compiled quickly, but the DDT
failed in COMB, where it claimed that LUN *** was not open.  When I
got around that it aborted during the history writing.  In both cases
the problems stem from use of an integer ITRC(7,4) in COMMON.  The
code is correct and COMB works fine when compiled with OPT1 or NOOPT,
but any optimisation causes failure.  MATHS is reported to fail as
well.  The DDT and Y2K however ran normally once COMB was recompiled
NOOPT.

I noticed one other thing.  My computer's name went from primate to
!!imate very quickly in aips - i.e. start it aand EXIT and that is the
name shown.

It appears that we can recommend GNU 2.95.3 and 3.0.2 compilers but
3.0.3 is known to have **AT LEAST** minor foibles and the so-called
2.96 is known to be seriously flawed.