[daip] problems with installation

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Mon Feb 4 12:07:17 EST 2002

Irini Sakelliou writes:

 > "data disks not being defined". However I have assigned data disks:
 > /xmm3/irini/AIPS/DATA/ERI_1 and /xmm3/irini/AIPS/DATA/, but the
 > ~/.AIPSRC file contains:
 > DATA_AREAS = "/xmm3/irini/AIPS/DATA/ERI_1:NONE /xmm3/irini/AIPS/DATA/:NONE"
 >  additionally it appears that I do not have a DADEVS.SH file. The
 > DA00/DADEVS.LIST appears correct: It contains the :
 > -  /xmm3/irini/AIPS/DATA/
 > -  /xmm3/irini/AIPS/DATA/ERI_1

DADEVS.SH is our resonsibility and is not dependent on site.  Read the
comments at the start of the the $NET0/DADEVS.LIST file.  They will -
or maybe it is should - tell you that the disk file names must be
recognizable as belonging to the computer running aips.  Thus, on my
machine called primate the DADEVS.LISt file contains

-  /DATA/PRIMATE_1
-  /DATA/PRIMATE_2
-  /DATA/PRIMATE_3

If your computer $HOST name is ERI then the second one will be
recognized as belonging to ERI.  If it is not then none of these are
recognizable.  Note that you can use ln -s files to great profit here.
Data files should be on the computer that is to use them (nfs is
slowwwwww).

Edit the DADEVS.LIST file and make the data directories that you need.
In each of these areas there should be a null file called SPACE (use
touch to create it).

If only one computer is to run your aips installation, then you can
require the data areas in DADEVS.LIST by putting a + in column 1.  If
there are > 1 computers running aips this is not good because it
forces slow nfs at all times.

You will need to RUN FILAIP and RUN POPSGN to finish the installation
after the data areas are fixed.