[daip] md5sum question

Patrick P Murphy pmurphy at nrao.edu
Mon Dec 16 09:10:30 EST 2002

On Fri, 13 Dec 2002 16:14:20 -0700 (MST), Chun <cly at U.Arizona.EDU> said:

> I am having trouble with md5sum. I am trying to install AIPS (31DEC02) on
> a SUNos 5.6 (SPARC processor). I tried typing md5sum 31DEC02.tar.gz but
> it cannot find the command.

The md5sum program is (like much of the modern GNU-based software) not
included with most SunOS operating systems.  It is part of the OS with
Linux.

The main purpose of running md5sum is to provide a robust and thorough
check on whether the 31DEC02.tar.gz file you downloaded is intact and
correct.  If you have gzip installed, you can try:

        gunzip 31DEC02.tar.gz | tar tvf >/dev/null

and see if there are any errors reported.  It should just sit there for a
few minutes, reading the file and simply return with a prompt (and a
success status).

Before trying this, check your PATH variable (type "echo $PATH") and see
if you need to add something like /usr/local/bin or similar to it; on
older sun systems, people tended to install the add-ons like the GNU file
utilities (for md5um), gzip, gunzip, GNU tar and so on in such a location.
As you know, they tend to be in /usr/bin on Linux systems.  You may want
to check with your local sysadmin to see if she/he has already installed
these utilities, and if so, where.

If you don't have the GNU zip package installed (gzip, gunzip) you need to
get those before you can even unpack the 31DEC02 tarball.

				- Pat
--
 Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.              Division Head, CV Computing, NRAO
 Home: http://www.chien-noir.com/    Work: http://www.nrao.edu/~pmurphy/