[daip] msg. from IMAGR

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Wed Aug 7 13:49:01 EDT 2002

Jiyune Yi writes:

 > While I was running IMAGR, I've got a message which
 > I need your help. It says,
 >
 > "SOMETHING IS GOING WRONG - ABANDON CLEAN"
 >
 > several lines before I got that message are,
 >
 > %%%%%%%%%%
 > :
 >     19969 Residual map points loaded
 > Reached minimum algorithm flux = -10.251 MilliJy iter=     4613
 > Total Cleaned flux density    =   56.976 MilliJy     4613 comps
 > ALGSUB: Ipol gridded model subtraction, chans    1 through    1
 > Field   1 min =  -17.8 MilliJy,max =   26.8 MilliJy
 > BGC Clean: using  103 cell beam + residuals >     7.73 MilliJy
 >     19974 Residual map points loaded
 > SOMETHING IS GOING WRONG - ABANDON CLEAN
 > Reached minimum algorithm flux = -13.926 MilliJy iter=     4628
 > Total Cleaned flux density    =   46.782 MilliJy     4628 comps
 > :
 > %%%%%%%%%%%
 >
 > perhaps I could have cleaned too deep (NITER 10000, FLUX 0),
 > but even though, does aips give message as I've gotten ?

Sometimes this message appears in a harmless (apparently) way when
Cleaning many facets at once.  If you are doing only one field, then
this indicates what is shown above - that the CC flux level is going
up not down and the total flux is dropping rapidly.  This should not
happen no matter how excessively you Clean - were you watching it on
the TV?  If not, repeat the process and watch the TV to see what is
happening if possible.

I may have to take your data and experiment to try to figure out what
is happening.  Which version of aips are you using?