[daip] SNR calculations in FRING

Leonia Kogan lkogan at aoc.nrao.edu
Fri Aug 2 11:21:28 EDT 2002

Hi Eric,

>What I said about
>the ratio is that between the presumed peak in the delay-rate domain
>and the RMS thermal noise. The peak's amplitude can be measured out
>in any case. But what about the noise? It is clear to me that the RMS
>thermal noise should be inversely proportional to the square root of
>the product of integration time and the bandwidth. But we want to
>know how this is done exactly in FRING.

As I understand FRING esimate solution and error for the position of
the presumed peak in the delay-rate domain (fringe rate and delay) but not
the amplitude of the peak itself.

If the amplitude is not clipped then
the fring rate rms is ~1/(Tavg**3/2)
the delay rms is ~1/(bandwidth**3/2)

But I repeat the amplitudes are clipped inside FRING/KRING and this fact
make the rms calculation very difficult. Ketan spent a time to solve this task
and implemented the solution to KRING. So the delay/fringe rate rms have to
be more precise at KRING than at FRING.

>There are essentially two different FRING modes in FRING. One
>with aparm(5)=0 will do fringe fitting on each IF independently,
>the other with aparm(5)>1 will solve for multi-band solutions.
>No matter what choice we use, the noise estimation will always
>assume a maximum bandwidth, i.e., the whole observing band.
>Is this right?

No, I think it will be IF banwidth for aparm(5)=0 and
                   NIF*IF banwidth for aparm(5)>1
But I repeat again 'calculation of the delay/fringe rate rms is a complicate
statistical problem because of the clipping.

Ketan is not with NRAO more but he kindly agrreed to answer your questions.

His e-mail is ketan at rentec.com

Amy is the person who spent a time comparing KRING and FRING. She has published the AIPS memo about this comparison. She has born the child this Saturday and
she is out of office now.
You can wait several weeks(?) to ask her.

Leonia

It is still not that clear to me about the SNR calculation in FRING.

Maybe I didn't state clearly in my previous email. What I said about
the ratio is that between the presumed peak in the delay-rate domain
and the RMS thermal noise. The peak's amplitude can be measured out
in any case. But what about the noise? It is clear to me that the RMS
thermal noise should be inversely proportional to the square root of
the product of integration time and the bandwidth. But we want to
know how this is done exactly in FRING.

Also, could you please tell me the answer to my second question,
repeated below:

>There are essentially two different FRING modes in FRING. One
>with aparm(5)=0 will do fringe fitting on each IF independently,
>the other with aparm(5)>1 will solve for multi-band solutions.
>No matter what choice we use, the noise estimation will always
>assume a maximum bandwidth, i.e., the whole observing band.
>Is this right?

I believe what you said about Ketan Desai's work is related to
the KRING not FRING, right? For KRING, we found it behaved
sometimes strangely. We will report to you later.

Also, we would appreciated it very much if you can point out to
us any relevant memos. So far, we have read Ketan's AIPS Memo 101
about the SNR in KRING, but have no any detailed information on how
FRING deals with the SNR.

Thanks,
Eric

----- End Included Message -----