[daip] Install help

Melinda Taylor melinda at phys.unsw.edu.au
Fri Sep 21 02:54:09 EDT 2001

Hello :)

I have just completed my first ever AIPS instaall for a user. I myself
have never used AIPS, it appears to startup just fine, all the Tv servers
appear but we are having trouble with the data disks. The machine is
a PC running redhat 7.1

When I installed using 'install.pl' I set the data disk to
/home/vminier/data

when I startup I get the messages:

START_AIPS:
Your initial AIPS printer is the p62f
START_AIPS:  - system name -Pp62fd, AIPS type PS

START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
DADEVS.PL: This program is untested under Perl version 5.006
  (Using global default file /AIPS/DA00/DADEVS.LIST for DADEVS.PL)
   Disk 1 (1) is /home/vminier/data

My DADEV.LIS file simply says:

# DADEVS.LIST
# This is a DADEVS list file containing a list of AIPS data directories.
# Refer to $AIPS_ROOT/DADEVS.SH for more information.
+  /home/vminier/data

which all looks ok. The user has copied all his data to
the /home/vminier/data but is unable to see it. He uses
the commands 'mc' and 'uc' (I think or is it mv uv)
anyway he says it should list all the data on the disk.

I have never used aips before so I have a few questions
on how I can test what is wrong with the setup.

Does aips read normal standard fits file (like one
you could manipulate within iraf) or does it have
to be read in or converted in aips? I also read somewhere
that it had to be all in CAPS is this correct?

The file NETSP has the following
/home/vminier/data        365.0    0    0   0    0    0
0    0    0
 there is only one user (user ID 1?) using the system
so should he be able to use that data disk?

I read somewhere that the user has to "export MYAREA=`pwd`"
which I also tried in the /home/vminier/data area before starting
aips. Does this need to be done?

Also I am not even sure of how to start aips? I just setup an alias
alias aips='/AIPS/31DEC01/LINUX/SYSTEM/AIPS1/aips'
is this correct?

Please let me know if there is any other info I can forward to you
(commands for me to issue within aips) that may be of some help debugging
the data disk problem.

Many Thanks,

Melinda