[daip] (no subject)

Leonia Kogan lkogan at aoc.nrao.edu
Tue Sep 18 15:36:31 EDT 2001

Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 13:34:56 -0600 (MDT)
From: Leonia Kogan <lkogan at aoc.nrao.edu>
To: lincoln at play.harvard.edu, daips at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Subject: Re: [daip] VLBA autocorrelations / ACCOR corrections

Hi Lincoln,

I agree with Jim. The variation of the gain as a solution of ACCOR is real
independent on the reason.
Jim is right that SOLINT should be chosen less than default 60min.
The order of minute would be better.

The question is can we hope that the autocorrelation variation can be
applied to the crosscorrelation on the level of accuracy <1%.

The accuracy of the crosscorelation correction depends on the value of
the correlation. The theory (VLBA scientific memo #9, 1995) sais that
this correction is better 0.1% if the correlation is less 0.1.

The theory may miss some additional effects so the accuracy can be worse.
As I remember the ACCOR type correction decrease the difference at the different
BBC from >20% to <2%.

>I am also curious about the frequency averaged amplitude of VLBA
>autocorrelation spectra that I observe in many experiments. It is my
>understanding that these spectra are normalized.  I routinely
>notice variations in amplitude with time on the order of a few percent. I
>am especially interested by (1) isolated discrepant points that are 5+%
>away from neighboring points and (2) structure in these time variations
>that includes slopes (a la wrapping between two boundary values)
>and modulations in dispersion that look envelopes degined by sync
>functions.

The answer on this question is at the same area of my previous message.
The 5% variation is too big if you applied the ACCOR correction.

I'll look at the possible problem with negative SOLINT

Leonia