[daip] aips on Sun Solaris 2.8?

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Fri Sep 14 10:48:41 EDT 2001

Meng-Po Chen writes:
 > Hi,
 >    Does AIPS run on Sun Solaris 2.8? I found no info on the nrao
 > web page. please help on this. thanks a lot!

We do not bother posting that AIPS works with the next sub-version of
a standard operating system that we have used for many years.  We
will post if it does not work.  We did find a couple of gotchas in the
latest Solaris compiler that have been fixed.

If you run Solaris but use some other compiler - e.g. GNU - then you
will have to modify the compile options.  I hope someday to get to
making AIPS handle either on Solaris but I am too busy at present.
The Solaris compiler produces much faster code on Suns than GNU - or
at least it used to do so when we last tested.