[daip] DAT drive on Coyote

Jim Ulvestad julvesta at aoc.nrao.edu
Fri Sep 7 10:41:20 EDT 2001

AIPS cannot "see" the DAT drive that was transferred
from my old machine (hayduke) to coyote.  I thought
this was a Linux problem, but James said it wasn't
so I now don't know if this is an aliasing problem
within or outside AIPS.  Software mounting works
okay, but then when I try to read data, I get

coyote> FITLD1: Task FITLD  (release of 31DEC01) begins
coyote> FITLD1: Reading tape drive number   1
coyote> FITLD1: Advancing    5 files
coyote> FITLD1: ERROR      3 READING FIRST TAPE RECORD
coyote> FITLD1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
coyote> FITLD1: coyote       31DEC01 TST: Cpu=       0.0  Real=       1

Is this because the tape drive is now called

/dev/nst0

and AIPS is looking for something else?

I've gotten the same results on multiple tapes, so it's
not just that the tapes are bad.

Thanks,

jim