[daip] TVFLG problem

Eric Greisen egreisen at NRAO.EDU
Fri Oct 26 12:57:51 EDT 2001

Doug Ratay writes:
 > Hi.  I've been trying to run TVFLG on UV spectral line data.  The output
 > of running TVFLG is this:
 >
 > europa> TVFLG1: Task TVFLG  (release of 15OCT99) begins
 > europa> TVFLG1: Begin finding a list of times to enter the grid
 > europa> TVFLG1: Found  6515 time intervals to grid, so
 > europa> TVFLG1: begin gridding the data to a temporary TVFLGR file
 > hewish> TVFLG1: GRIDTB: UNABLE TO CREATE OUTPUT IMAGE FILE - ERROR    1
 > hewish> TVFLG1: NO DISK SPACE ON ALLOWED DISKS
 > hewish> TVFLG1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
 > hewish> TVFLG1: hewish       15OCT99 TST: Cpu=      15.8  Real=     707
 > europa> TVFLG1: ZCREA2: SPACE LOCK FILE = DA05:SPACE
 > europa> TVFLG1: ZCREA2: STILL BUSY AFTER 30 TRIES IN 60 SECONDS
 > europa> TVFLG1: ZCREA2: A STOPPED PROCESS MAY HAVE IT MONOPOLIZED
 > europa> TVFLG1: ZCREA2: NOTIFY THE AIPS SYSTEM MANAGER
 > europa> TVFLG1: ZCREA2: PERFORMING NON-ATOMIC FILE CREATION INSTEAD
 > europa> TVFLG1: ZCREA2: SPACE LOCK FILE = DA05:SPACE
 > europa> TVFLG1: ZCREA2: STILL BUSY AFTER 30 TRIES IN 60 SECONDS
 > europa> TVFLG1: ZCREA2: A STOPPED PROCESS MAY HAVE IT MONOPOLIZED
 > europa> TVFLG1: ZCREA2: NOTIFY THE AIPS SYSTEM MANAGER
 > europa> TVFLG1: ZCREA2: PERFORMING NON-ATOMIC FILE CREATION INSTEAD
 > europa> TVFLG1: GRIDTB: UNABLE TO CREATE OUTPUT IMAGE FILE - ERROR    1
 > europa> TVFLG1: NO DISK SPACE ON ALLOWED DISKS
 > europa> TVFLG1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
 > europa> TVFLG1: europa       15OCT99 TST: Cpu=      80.2  Real=     589

      You appear to be running two TVFLGs at the same time, one on
hewish and one on europa but apparently both using the same data area.
This is very dangerous and they are apparently colliding.  the hewish
one locks the file creation control file while trying to create the
file and the europa one then gets into trouble too.

        Try running only one.  Try it with a modest TIMERANGE or some
other adverb to conrtrol the data set size to something smaller.  Your
old version of aips does not in general support files > 2 Gbyte and
you might be hitting that limit.

        If the SPACE file lock remains, try
    cd $DA05   (or go to the disk area it is if the env variable is
               not known
    mv SPACE SPACE.old
    touch SPACE

and then run it again.