[daip] Installing AIPS under Redhat 7.2

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Fri Oct 26 10:44:41 EDT 2001

Bob Dickson writes:
 > Hi
 > Is it still necessary to install the 2.95 compiler set or have the
 > optimisation issues been resolved?
 >
 > Thanks,
 > Bob
 > --
 > | Dr Robert Dickson, IT Manager                          |
 > | Jodrell Bank Observatory, The University of Manchester |
 > | Macclesfield, Cheshire SK11 9DL (UK)                   |
 > | Tel: +44 1477 572638     Fax: +44 1477 571618          |

I do not understand your question.  A broken compiler is a broken
compiler.  RedHat has released a number of patches and now calls some
release of its compiler 2.96rh or some such.  We have not and will not
test it.  RedHat 7.2 is now released and contains a true gnu compiler
suite 3.0.? which does seem to work.  It is also trivial to download
this compiler (2.95.3 seems no longer available) following the
instructions available from the aips web site:

      http://www.cv.nrao.edu/aips

It is not just aips but aips++ in C++ and other packages that require
optimization that have never worked on this stolen compiler (gnu never
released a version 2.96).