[daip] Comments on install.pl

Hugh Aller haller at mpifr-bonn.mpg.de
Mon Oct 22 12:00:03 EDT 2001

I just built aips (31DEC01 cir Oct 5, 2001) using the Perl script.
Everything worked very very well with one exception:  The machine
I was bulding on is running SuSE Linux vers 7.1 (Linux Kernel 2.40) -
you probably know the rest:  INSTEP4 fails because SuSE doesn't
include libtermcap (one has to use libncurses).  Luckily, I
had encountered this problem a year ago when installing an earlier aips
on another SuSE machine, and was able to review the old install instructions
(15Oct99) where the fix was described.  After poking around in the Perl
script to make sure I know how to rerun INSTEP4, everything appears to
have worked fine.
    The script certainly makes things much easier, but perhaps a test
for libtermcap vs libncurses (or a brief message in the html file which I
found to be very good) would help those who are not running Red Hat Linux).
Thanks!
Sincerely,
hugh
(p.s. although I am doing this at mpifr-bonn, normally my base of operations
is umich)