[daip] Non-installation question

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Fri Oct 19 17:17:08 EDT 2001

gdenn at sbc.edu writes:
 > Hi
 > I'm trying to modify an AIPS task (TVLAB) for my own nefarious
purposes

     The first problem here is that TVLABEL is not an AIPS task - it
is a verb.  It is called from subroutines deep inside AIPS.FOR and
subroutines of a whole area called $AIPSUB.

 > into a task called DUMBO.  (RedHat 7.1/ 31DEC01/ gcc 2.95.3)
 >
 > My belief is that the strategy is as follows:
 > 1) set up a test area with DUMBO.f in it.

       DUMBO.FOR and let the pre-processor fill in the INCLUDE
statements.  Then move TVLAB.FOR into that directory too and edit it
as needed.  If I were you I would rename it too.

 > 2) run LIBS $proper_directory > PROPERDIRECTORY.OPT

          LIBS dir > DUMBO.OPT usually

      Then add TVLAB.o or NEWNAM.o to the .OPT file

   2.5) COMRPL TVLAB

 > 3) COMLNK DUMBO PROPERDIRECTORY.OPT
 > 4) define the version and run the task in aips.
 >

 > When I run COMLNK I get the following errors:
 >

 > /home/aipsmgr/TEST/DUMBO.o: In function `tvlab_':
 > /home/aipsmgr/TEST/DUMBO.o(.text+0x4b): undefined reference to `tvvec_'

         The subroutine TVLAB is in $AIPSUB - so it is allowed to use
other routines in the area.  You have to also includs that area in the
.OPT file.  Thus, if $QYPGM is generally correct, your .opt file is:

TVLAB.o
$LIBR/QNOT/SUBLIB $LIBR/APLNOT/SUBLIB $LIBR/QNOT/SUBLIB
$LIBR/QSUB/SUBLIB $LIBR/QPSAP/SUBLIB
$LIBR/AIPSUB/SUBLIB $LIBR/YSUB/SUBLIB
$LIBR/YSS/SUBLIB $LIBR/APLSUB/SUBLIB $LIBR/APLLINUX/SUBLIB
$LIBR/APLSUB/SUBLIB $LIBR/APLLINUX/SUBLIB

 > My reference
 > is Appendix A of "Going AIPS". TVLAB lives in $PREP,

       Absolutely not, it lives in $AIPSUB.  $PREP is an area for the
output of the preprocessor - you want the input.