[daip] Non-installation question

gdenn at sbc.edu gdenn at sbc.edu
Fri Oct 19 16:32:05 EDT 2001

Hi
I'm trying to modify an AIPS task (TVLAB) for my own nefarious purposes
into a task called DUMBO.  (RedHat 7.1/ 31DEC01/ gcc 2.95.3)

My belief is that the strategy is as follows:
1) set up a test area with DUMBO.f in it.
2) run LIBS $proper_directory > PROPERDIRECTORY.OPT
3) COMLNK DUMBO PROPERDIRECTORY.OPT
4) define the version and run the task in aips.

When I run COMLNK I get the following errors:

/home/aipsmgr/TEST/DUMBO.o: In function `tvlab_':
/home/aipsmgr/TEST/DUMBO.o(.text+0x4b): undefined reference to `tvvec_'

(etc.)

ld returned 1 exit status
LINK      : Status from /usr/local/gcc/bin/g77 is 1
LINK      : Link of    /home/aipsmgr/TEST/DUMBO.o
LINK      : dies from wimpy compiler
LINK      : Dies of unnatural causes.

Since the program I wanted to modify uses the TV and vectors,
I thought that the command

LIBS $QYPGM >QYPGM.OPT
would give me the correct set of libraries. I was wrong.
Similar trials with

LIBS $APLPGM >APLPGM.OPT and
LIBS $YPGM >YPGM.OPT and
LIBS $YPGNOT > YPGNOT.OPT
returned a similar set of error messages during compilation.

My reference
is Appendix A of "Going AIPS". TVLAB lives in $PREP,
or $AIPS_ROOT/31DEC01/LINUX/PREP. Since Linux is a
post-1990 phenomenon (in my head at least) I believe that
I'm not using the correct directory structure to compile
the new tasks.  Any assistance is graciously appreciated.
Cheers
Grant Denn