[daip] FILLM of Fornax A

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Thu Oct 11 13:06:56 EDT 2001

Your message:

I made several observations of Fornax A with 6 different pointings at
L band.  Upon requesting data and receiving the data (a few weeks
ago), I noticed that the header information was incorrect.  I used the
same source name for the 6 different pointings, and it was assumed
that FILLM couldn't discern the 6 different pointings and used the
data header from the first pointing.  Can we redo a FILLM on the data
and try to separate the 6 pointings out with their 6 different header
for the requested data set? ....

Reply:

What are you talking about?  It is not clear to me either what you
received or what you expected.  What you should have received - if a
few weeks means after early July) is 1 multi-source UV data set
containing all of the data from your observations.  The source names
for the 6 pointings will - in the source file - no longer be the same
since what you chose to do is a serious error.  If the source names
were kept the same, then SPLIT will put all the data together and the
6 pointings will appear on top of each other (which should mess up
Clean rather badly).  You will want to calibrate the data together and
then make 6 separate calibrated output files - hence the use of
separate source names or qualifiers by most users.  In fact, it was
for your observations that we changed FILLM to check source position
and to modify the source names.  Needless to say, this is a great
nuisance to Solar and planetary observers.

If all 6 pointings are named the same in your data set (in other words
it was filled before July 4 or so), then the analysts can re-fill the
data.