[daip] aips - tape problem etc.

Hiroko Shinnaga hshinnag at cfa.harvard.edu
Wed Nov 28 20:14:48 EST 2001

Hi Eric,

  Although I didn't have a message window function,
I tried to run 'fillm' from the aips and get the
following error message;

################
>go
ERROR  3 ON UNIT TTDEV01         , GETTING HOST/SERVICE BY NAME
 ZMSGOP: ZTTOPN RETURNS ERROR =   1 FOR LUN =   6
FILLM1: UV data will be written in compressed format
FILLM1: Shadow flag limit =  2.500E+01 meters.
AIPS 1: Resumes
#####################

  And the light of the tape driver keep blinking,
looks like reading something.  But, although I
wait for a while, no file could be written on
the disk.  So, first I tried the command 'dismount'
from aips but I couldn't stop it because the tape is
busy.  Then, since I though I'd better stop the process,
I exited aips and kill the process 'FILLM' by
kill command.  (I found the FILLM process by the command
'ps -ax. )  I think this is not a recommended
way to do it.

  I guess my aips is not properly installed yet.  I
faced the message window error, which I described
in my previous mail, too.  So, could you please
let me know how I can fix those problems?

  In addition to the above, should I prepare .cshrc
or .alias files for running aips smoothly?  How do
people usually do for running aips?

  I'm waiting for your reply.  Thank you for you
attention.

Sincerely,

 Hiroko

ps. As a reference, I'd like to write down one more
thing.  When I try to check the tape drive
via mt command, I get the following answer;

[aips at ula AIPS]$ mt -f /dev/nst0 status
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x25 (DDS-3).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (41010000):

[aips at ula AIPS]$ mt -f /dev/st0 status
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=2, block number=7686, partition=0.
Tape block size 0 bytes. Density code 0x25 (DDS-3).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (1010000):
 ONLINE IM_REP_EN

Those two dirs are for one tape drives;
/dev/nst0 for no rewind
/dev/st0 for rewind

I tried to set both for the aips setting and both cases,
I met the same problem.  C