[daip] aips_gripe

Lincoln Greenhill lincoln at play.harvard.edu
Wed Nov 14 13:52:11 EST 2001

Hi Leonia,

> Now I start understanding that I has not understood the problem.
>
> So you want XMOM to calculate different threshold for different box
> at each velocity plane.

Yes, I think that ONE way to solve the problem I have described
(i.e., position-dependent dynamic range in each plane of a cube)
is for XMOM to use a position dependent threshold.  One way to
do this is to draw a box around each pixel, compute and RMS, and
determine whether the pixel has a flux that is above or below
a threshold of N-sigma.

> The boxes positions and sizes for each plane should be given by the user.

The size of the box is given by the user.  Remember, this is a moving
box, not a static one (i.e., not like the box in IMSTAT).

> If YES, YES then
>    I have understood the problem.
>    It looks like this problem solving is a subject of
>    other task before using XMOM. This task should blank the qube

I think that XMOM can logically perform the operation I describe.
However, it does not matter to me.  The operation could be performed
in BLANK (e.g., an OPCODE like IN2C).

Regards,

Lincoln