[daip] aips_gripe

Leonia Kogan lkogan at aoc.nrao.edu
Wed Nov 14 10:14:37 EST 2001

Hi Lincoln,

>2) you iteratively discard points > 5*mean.  Do you then compute an RMS of
>what remains?

YES

>3) do you then compare each point in the first cube to the RMS that is
>relavant for the plane it is in, and choose to blank it or not?

I use the calculated RMS(I)*COEF as a threshold to exclude all points
at the plane 'I' which are more than RMS(I)*COEF.
Actually I substitude the global threshold FLUX by RMS(I)*COEF.

>4) is the value of FLUX and CUT now in sigmas, rather than map units
>(e.g., Jy)?

The value of RMS(I) is in map units. The user can multiply the calculated
RMS(I) by the undimensional COEF (COEF=FLUX at this case)

>I think that the best way to compute an RMS is to use the technique
>applied in JMFIT - to construct a histogram of the source and estimate
>the width of the counts' number vs flux profile centered around zero.

You mean IMEAN (not JMFIT). In the case of strong sources at the plane
you have to find solution for thr source (fit gausian(s)) and then
to calculate rms either by histogram or by direct calculation.

Otherwise you have to specify the box at the plane which you consider
is free of a source.

I want to get rid of specifiing the off source area for each plane.
It can be annoying for the user.

Now let's brash aside an algorithm of RMS finding for each plane.

Suppose RMS(I) is evaluated correctely.
Then is the cutoff described at the item 3 is what you want?

If it is I'l offer you another algorithm of RMS(I) calculating without drop off
of the negative points.

Leonia