[daip] Possible problem with FRING

Alice Argon alice at rgalp2.harvard.edu
Thu May 24 16:30:47 EDT 2001

On Thu, 24 May 2001, Amy Mioduszewski wrote:

> But that is a side issue.  How exactly did you get to the point of CL/7?  It
> does not seem to be corrected for the single band delays, which is why a
> multi-band delay does not improve things.  If I run APARM(5)=2 using
> GAINUSE 8 (which has the single band corrections: APARM(5)=0) then things
> look fine.

Hi Amy,

We run FRING twice.
 1. On a single scan for manual phase cal
     FRING using CL=6 --> SN=4
     CLCAL: SN=4 + CL=6 --> CL=7
 2. On all scans, EITHER single-band OR multi-band
     FRING using CL=7 --> SN=5
     CLCAL: SN=5 + CL=7 --> CL=8

Try this experiment and maybe you'll see what I mean when I say that
multi-band does not work.

Start with CL=7 (manual phase cal applied) and do two independent runs:
 1. single-band  FRING using CL=7 --> SN=6      [in AIPS NEW]
                 CLCAL: SN=6 + CL=7 --> CL=9
 2. multi-band   FRING using CL=7 --> SN=7      [in AIPS TST]
                 CLCAL: SN=7 + CL=7 --> CL=10

Then look at both CL=9 and CL=10 w/ POSSM.  Look in particular at antennas=4,0;
baseline=0.  In CL=10 each band has a different slope and there are 10 degree
jumps between bands and 10 degree slopes across bands.  CL=9, while not
perfect, does not display this behavior.

Below is a transcript of my session....

AIPS 5: Image=MULTI     (UV)         Filename=BM112C-SCAN .FITAB .   1
AIPS 5: Telescope=VLBA               Receiver=VLBA
AIPS 5: Observer=BM112               User #=  479
AIPS 5: Observ. date=16-NOV-1998     Map date=24-MAY-2001
AIPS 5: # visibilities      1776     Sort order  TB
AIPS 5: Rand axes: UU-L-SIN  VV-L-SIN  WW-L-SIN  TIME1  BASELINE
AIPS 5:            SOURCE  FREQSEL  INTTIM  GATEID  CORR-ID  WEIGHT
AIPS 5:            SCALE
AIPS 5: ----------------------------------------------------------------
AIPS 5: Type    Pixels   Coord value     at Pixel     Coord incr   Rotat
AIPS 5: COMPLEX      1   1.0000000E+00       1.00  1.0000000E+00    0.00
AIPS 5: STOKES       1  -1.0000000E+00       1.00 -1.0000000E+00    0.00
AIPS 5: FREQ        32   2.2192140E+10       0.53  5.0000000E+05    0.00
AIPS 5: IF           8   1.0000000E+00       1.00  1.0000000E+00    0.00
AIPS 5: RA           1    00 00 00.000       1.00       3600.000    0.00
AIPS 5: DEC          1    00 00 00.000       1.00       3600.000    0.00
AIPS 5: ----------------------------------------------------------------
AIPS 5: Coordinate equinox 2000.00
AIPS 5: Maximum version number of extension files of type HI is   1
AIPS 5: Maximum version number of extension files of type FQ is   1
AIPS 5: Maximum version number of extension files of type CT is   1
AIPS 5: Maximum version number of extension files of type AT is   1
AIPS 5: Maximum version number of extension files of type AN is   1
AIPS 5: Maximum version number of extension files of type CL is   8
AIPS 5: Maximum version number of extension files of type GC is   1
AIPS 5: Maximum version number of extension files of type IM is   1
AIPS 5: Maximum version number of extension files of type MC is   1
AIPS 5: Maximum version number of extension files of type SN is   5
AIPS 5: Maximum version number of extension files of type SU is   1
AIPS 5: Maximum version number of extension files of type TY is   1

Single-band solutions..................

AIPS 5: FRING:  Task to fringe fit data
AIPS 5: Adverbs         Values            Comments
AIPS 5: ----------------------------------------------------------------
AIPS 5:                                    Input uv data.
AIPS 5: INNAME     'BM112C-SCAN '             UV file name (name)
AIPS 5: INCLASS    'FITAB '                   UV file name (class)
AIPS 5: INSEQ         1                       UV file name (seq. #)
AIPS 5: INDISK        5                       UV file disk drive #
AIPS 5:                                    Data selection (multisource):
AIPS 5: CALSOUR    *all ' '                Calibrator sources
AIPS 5: QUAL         -1                    Calibrator qualifier -1=>all
AIPS 5: CALCODE    '    '                  Calibrator code '    '=>all
AIPS 5: SELBAND      -1                    Bandwidth to select (kHz)
AIPS 5: SELFREQ      -1                    Frequency to select (MHz)
AIPS 5: FREQID       -1                    Freq. ID to select.
AIPS 5: TIMERANG   *all 0                  Time range to use.
AIPS 5: BCHAN         0                    Lowest channel number 0=>all
AIPS 5: ECHAN         0                    Highest channel number
AIPS 5: ANTENNAS   *all 0                  Antennas to select. 0=all
AIPS 5: DOFIT      *all 0                  Subset of ANTENNAS list
AIPS 5:                                    for which solns are desired.
AIPS 5:                                    0 => all in ANTENNAS
AIPS 5:                                    < 0 => all not in DOFIT list
AIPS 5: SUBARRAY      0                    Subarray, 0=>all
AIPS 5: UVRANGE       0           0        Range of uv distance for full
AIPS 5:                                    weight
AIPS 5: WTUV          0                    Weight outside UVRANGE 0=0.
AIPS 5:
AIPS 5:                                    Cal. info for input:
AIPS 5: DOCALIB       1                    If >0 calibrate data
AIPS 5:                                    = 2 calibrate weights
AIPS 5: GAINUSE       7                    CL table to apply.
AIPS 5: FLAGVER      -1                    Flag table version
AIPS 5: DOBAND       -1                    If >0 apply bandpass cal.
AIPS 5:                                    Method used depends on value
AIPS 5:                                    of DOBAND (see HELP file).
AIPS 5: BPVER        -1                    Bandpass table version
AIPS 5: SMOOTH     *all 0                  Smoothing function. See
AIPS 5:                                    HELP SMOOTH for details.
AIPS 5:
AIPS 5:                                    CLEAN map (optional)
AIPS 5: IN2NAME    '            '             Cleaned map name (name)
AIPS 5: IN2CLASS   '      '                   Cleaned map name (class)
AIPS 5: IN2SEQ        0                       Cleaned map name (seq. #)
AIPS 5: IN2DISK       0                       Cleaned map disk unit #
AIPS 5: INVERS        0                    CC file version #.
AIPS 5: NCOMP      *all 0                  # comps to use for model.
AIPS 5:                                    1 value per field
AIPS 5: FLUX          0                    Lowest CC component used.
AIPS 5: NMAPS         0                    No. Clean map files
AIPS 5: CMETHOD    '    '                  Modeling method:
AIPS 5:                                    'DFT','GRID','    '
AIPS 5: SMODEL     *all 0                  Source model, 1=flux,2=x,3=y
AIPS 5:                                    See HELP SMODEL for models.
AIPS 5:
AIPS 5:                                    Output uv data file.
AIPS 5: OUTNAME    '            '             UV file name (name)
AIPS 5: OUTCLASS   '      '                   UV file name (class)
AIPS 5: OUTSEQ        0                       UV file name (seq. #)
AIPS 5: OUTDISK       0                       UV file disk drive #
AIPS 5:
AIPS 5:                                    Solution control adverbs:
AIPS 5: REFANT        4                    Reference antenna
AIPS 5: SEARCH        4           5        Prioritized reference antenna
AIPS 5:               9        *rest 0     list - supplements REFANT
AIPS 5:                                    - but only if APARM(9)>0
AIPS 5: SOLINT        0                    Solution interval (min)
AIPS 5:                                    0 => 10 min
AIPS 5:
AIPS 5: APARM         3           0        General parameters
AIPS 5:               0           0           1=min. no. antennas
AIPS 5:               0           0           2 > 0 => data divided
AIPS 5:               0           0           3 > 0 => avg. RR,LL
AIPS 5:               1           0           4 > 0 => avg. freq. in IFs
AIPS 5:                                       5 > 0 => combine IFs.
AIPS 5:                                       6=print level, 1=some
AIPS 5:                                       7=SNR cutoff (0=>5)
AIPS 5:                                       8=max. ant. # (no AN)
AIPS 5:                                       9 > 0 => do exhaustive
AIPS 5:                                                baseline search
AIPS 5: DPARM         3          80        Delay-rate parameters
AIPS 5:               0           8           1=no. bl combo. (def=3)
AIPS 5:            *rest 0                    2=delay win (nsec), if <0
AIPS 5:                                         no delay search done
AIPS 5:                                       3=rate win (mHz)
AIPS 5:                                       4=int. time (sec)
AIPS 5:                                        0 => min. found in data
AIPS 5:                                       5 >0 => don't do ls. soln
AIPS 5:                                       6 >0 => don't avg. in freq
AIPS 5:                                       7 >0 => don't rereference
AIPS 5:                                         phase
AIPS 5:                                       8 > 0 => activate zero'ing
AIPS 5:                                                 options
AIPS 5: SNVER         6                    Output SN table, 0=>new table
AIPS 5: ANTWT      *all 0                  Ant. weights (0=>1.0)
AIPS 5: BADDISK       1        *rest 0     Disk no. not to use for
AIPS 5:                                       scratch files.

FRING5: Task FRING  (release of 31DEC00) begins
FRING5: You are using a non-standard program
FRING5: ****** WARNING: NO NX TABLE IN MULTI-SOURCE FILE
FRING5: ******    SELECTION AND FLAGGING BY SOURCE DISABLED
FRING5: ******    YOU SHOULD RUN INDXR
FRING5: Selecting and calibrating the data
FRING5: ** WARNING - Subarray   1 contains VLBA data, but no CQ data
FRING5: ** to enable VLBA decorrelation corrections
FRING5: ** Type EXPLAIN FITLD for further information
FRING5: Dividing data by source flux densities
FRING5: Determining solutions
FRING5: Writing SN table    6
FRING5: FREQUENCIES DO NOT LIE ON A UNIFORM GRID.
FRING5: THIS MAY DEGRADE DETERMINATION OF DELAYS.
FRING5: Found       80 good solutions
FRING5: Appears to have ended successfully
FRING5: rgalp8 31DEC00 NEW: Cpu=    13.6  Real=    20  IO=      1730

AIPS 5: CLCAL     Task to manage SN and CL calibration tables
AIPS 5: Adverbs         Values            Comments
AIPS 5: ----------------------------------------------------------------
AIPS 5: INNAME     'BM112C-SCAN '          Input UV file name (name)
AIPS 5: INCLASS    'FITAB '                Input UV file name (class)
AIPS 5: INSEQ         1                    Input UV file name (seq. #)
AIPS 5: INDISK        5                    Input UV file disk unit #
AIPS 5: SOURCES    *all ' '                Source list to calibrate
AIPS 5: SOUCODE    '    '                  Source "Cal codes"
AIPS 5: CALSOUR    *all ' '                Cal sources for calibration
AIPS 5: QUAL         -1                    Source qualifier -1=>all
AIPS 5: CALCODE    '    '                  Calibrator code '    '=>all
AIPS 5: TIMERANG   *all 0                  Time range to calibrate
AIPS 5: SUBARRAY      0                    Subarray, 0=>all,
AIPS 5: ANTENNAS   *all 0                  Antennas selected, 0=> all
AIPS 5: SELBAND      -1                    Bandwidth to select (kHz)
AIPS 5: SELFREQ      -1                    Frequency to select (MHz)
AIPS 5: FREQID       -1                    Freq. ID to select.
AIPS 5: OPCODE     '    '                  Operation 'MERG','CALI',
AIPS 5:                                    'SMOO','CALP'; ' ' => 'CALI'
AIPS 5: INTERPOL   'AMBG'                  Interpolation function,
AIPS 5:                                    choices are:
AIPS 5:                                    '2PT','SIMP','AMBG','CUBE',
AIPS 5:                                    'SELF','POLY','MWF','BOX'
AIPS 5:                                    see HELP for more details.
AIPS 5: INTPARM    *all 0                  Interpolation parameters
AIPS 5: CUTOFF        0                    Interpolation limit in
AIPS 5:                                    time (min); 0=> no limit.
AIPS 5: SMOTYPE    '    '                  Data to smooth
AIPS 5: SNVER         6                    Input SN table, 0=>all.
AIPS 5: GAINVER       7                    Input Cal table 0=>1
AIPS 5: GAINUSE       9                    Output CAL table 0=>2
AIPS 5: REFANT        4                    Reference antenna 0=>pick.
AIPS 5: BADDISK       1        *rest 0     Disks to avoid for scratch

CLCAL5: Task CLCAL  (release of 31DEC00) begins
CLCAL5: You are using a non-standard program
CLCAL5: Using interpolation mode AMBG
CLCAL5: Processing SN table    6
CLCAL5: SN2CL: Applying SN tables to CL table   7, writing CL table  9
CLCAL5: Appears to have ended successfully
CLCAL5: rgalp8 31DEC00 NEW: Cpu=     0.2  Real=     2  IO=       258

Now for the multi-band.................

AIPS 4: FRING:  Task to fringe fit data
AIPS 4: Adverbs     Values                 Comments
AIPS 4: ----------------------------------------------------------------
AIPS 4:                                    Input uv data.
AIPS 4: INNAME     'BM112C-SCAN '             UV file name (name)
AIPS 4: INCLASS    'FITAB '                   UV file name (class)
AIPS 4: INSEQ         1                       UV file name (seq. #)
AIPS 4: INDISK        5                       UV file disk drive #
AIPS 4:                                    Data selection (multisource):
AIPS 4: CALSOUR    *all ' '                Calibrator sources
AIPS 4: QUAL         -1                    Calibrator qualifier -1=>all
AIPS 4: CALCODE    '    '                  Calibrator code '    '=>all
AIPS 4: SELBAND      -1                    Bandwidth to select (kHz)
AIPS 4: SELFREQ      -1                    Frequency to select (MHz)
AIPS 4: FREQID       -1                    Freq. ID to select.
AIPS 4: TIMERANG   *all 0                  Time range to use.
AIPS 4: BCHAN         0                    Lowest channel number 0=>all
AIPS 4: ECHAN         0                    Highest channel number
AIPS 4: ANTENNAS   *all 0                  Antennas to select. 0=all
AIPS 4: DOFIT      *all 0                  Subset of ANTENNAS list
AIPS 4:                                    for which solns are desired.
AIPS 4:                                    0 => all in ANTENNAS
AIPS 4:                                    < 0 => all not in DOFIT list
AIPS 4: SUBARRAY      0                    Subarray, 0=>all
AIPS 4: UVRANGE       0           0        Range of uv distance for full
AIPS 4:                                    weight
AIPS 4: WTUV          0                    Weight outside UVRANGE 0=0.
AIPS 4:
AIPS 4:                                    Cal. info for input:
AIPS 4: DOCALIB       1                    If >0 calibrate data
AIPS 4:                                    = 2 calibrate weights
AIPS 4: GAINUSE       7                    CL table to apply.
AIPS 4: FLAGVER      -1                    Flag table version
AIPS 4: DOBAND       -1                    If >0 apply bandpass cal.
AIPS 4:                                    Method used depends on value
AIPS 4:                                    of DOBAND (see HELP file).
AIPS 4: BPVER        -1                    Bandpass table version
AIPS 4: SMOOTH     *all 0                  Smoothing function. See
AIPS 4:                                    HELP SMOOTH for details.
AIPS 4:
AIPS 4:                                    CLEAN map (optional)
AIPS 4: IN2NAME    '            '             Cleaned map name (name)
AIPS 4: IN2CLASS   '      '                   Cleaned map name (class)
AIPS 4: IN2SEQ        0                       Cleaned map name (seq. #)
AIPS 4: IN2DISK       0                       Cleaned map disk unit #
AIPS 4: INVERS        0                    CC file version #.
AIPS 4: NCOMP      *all 0                  # comps to use for model.
AIPS 4:                                    1 value per field
AIPS 4: FLUX          0                    Lowest CC component used.
AIPS 4: NMAPS         0                    No. Clean map files
AIPS 4: CMETHOD    '    '                  Modeling method:
AIPS 4:                                    'DFT','GRID','    '
AIPS 4: SMODEL     *all 0                  Source model, 1=flux,2=x,3=y
AIPS 4:                                    See HELP SMODEL for models.
AIPS 4:
AIPS 4:                                    Output uv data file.
AIPS 4: OUTNAME    '            '             UV file name (name)
AIPS 4: OUTCLASS   '      '                   UV file name (class)
AIPS 4: OUTSEQ        0                       UV file name (seq. #)
AIPS 4: OUTDISK       0                       UV file disk drive #
AIPS 4:
AIPS 4:                                    Solution control adverbs:
AIPS 4: REFANT        4                    Reference antenna
AIPS 4: SEARCH        4           5        Prioritized reference antenna
AIPS 4:               9        *rest 0     list - supplements REFANT
AIPS 4:                                    - but only if APARM(9)>0
AIPS 4: SOLINT        0                    Solution interval (min)
AIPS 4:                                    0 => 10 min
AIPS 4:
AIPS 4: APARM         3           0        General parameters
AIPS 4:               0           0           1=min. no. antennas
AIPS 4:               2           0           2 > 0 => data divided
AIPS 4:               0           0           3 > 0 => avg. RR,LL
AIPS 4:               1           0           4 > 0 => avg. freq. in IFs
AIPS 4:                                       5 > 0 => combine IFs.
AIPS 4:                                       6=print level, 1=some
AIPS 4:                                       7=SNR cutoff (0=>5)
AIPS 4:                                       8=max. ant. # (no AN)
AIPS 4:                                       9 > 0 => do exhaustive
AIPS 4:                                                baseline search
AIPS 4: DPARM         3          80        Delay-rate parameters
AIPS 4:               0           8           1=no. bl combo. (def=3)
AIPS 4:            *rest 0                    2=delay win (nsec), if <0
AIPS 4:                                         no delay search done
AIPS 4:                                       3=rate win (mHz)
AIPS 4:                                       4=int. time (sec)
AIPS 4:                                        0 => min. found in data
AIPS 4:                                       5 >0 => don't do ls. soln
AIPS 4:                                       6 >0 => don't avg. in freq
AIPS 4:                                       7 >0 => don't rereference
AIPS 4:                                         phase
AIPS 4:                                       8 > 0 => activate zero'ing
AIPS 4:                                                 options
AIPS 4: SNVER         7                    Output SN table, 0=>new table
AIPS 4: ANTWT      *all 0                  Ant. weights (0=>1.0)
AIPS 4: BADDISK       1        *rest 0     Disk no. not to use for
AIPS 4:                                       scratch files.

FRING4: Task FRING  (release of 31DEC01) begins
FRING4: You are using a non-standard program
FRING4: Selecting and calibrating the data
FRING4: ** WARNING - Subarray   1 contains VLBA data, but no CQ data
FRING4: ** to enable VLBA decorrelation corrections
FRING4: ** Type EXPLAIN FITLD for further information
FRING4: Dividing data by source flux densities
FRING4: Determining solutions
FRING4: Doing Least Squares fits for multi and single band delays
FRING4: Writing SN table    7
FRING4: FREQUENCIES DO NOT LIE ON A UNIFORM GRID.
FRING4: THIS MAY DEGRADE DETERMINATION OF DELAYS.
FRING4: Found       80 good solutions
FRING4: Appears to have ended successfully
FRING4: rgalp8 31DEC01 TST: Cpu=    24.7  Real=    37  IO=      1402

AIPS 4: CLCAL     Task to manage SN and CL calibration tables
AIPS 4: Adverbs     Values                 Comments
AIPS 4: ----------------------------------------------------------------
AIPS 4: INNAME     'BM112C-SCAN '          Input UV file name (name)
AIPS 4: INCLASS    'FITAB '                Input UV file name (class)
AIPS 4: INSEQ         1                    Input UV file name (seq. #)
AIPS 4: INDISK        5                    Input UV file disk unit #
AIPS 4: SOURCES    *all ' '                Source list to calibrate
AIPS 4: SOUCODE    '    '                  Source "Cal codes"
AIPS 4: CALSOUR    *all ' '                Cal sources for calibration
AIPS 4: QUAL         -1                    Source qualifier -1=>all
AIPS 4: CALCODE    '    '                  Calibrator code '    '=>all
AIPS 4: TIMERANG   *all 0                  Time range to calibrate
AIPS 4: SUBARRAY      0                    Subarray, 0=>all,
AIPS 4: ANTENNAS   *all 0                  Antennas selected, 0=> all
AIPS 4: SELBAND      -1                    Bandwidth to select (kHz)
AIPS 4: SELFREQ      -1                    Frequency to select (MHz)
AIPS 4: FREQID       -1                    Freq. ID to select.
AIPS 4: OPCODE     '    '                  Operation 'MERG','CALI',
AIPS 4:                                    'SMOO','CALP'; ' ' => 'CALI'
AIPS 4: INTERPOL   'AMBG'                  Interpolation function,
AIPS 4:                                    choices are:
AIPS 4:                                    '2PT','SIMP','AMBG','CUBE',
AIPS 4:                                    'SELF','POLY','MWF','BOX'
AIPS 4:                                    see HELP for more details.
AIPS 4: INTPARM    *all 0                  Interpolation parameters
AIPS 4: CUTOFF        0                    Interpolation limit in
AIPS 4:                                    time (min); 0=> no limit.
AIPS 4: SMOTYPE    '    '                  Data to smooth
AIPS 4: SNVER         7                    Input SN table, 0=>all.
AIPS 4: GAINVER       7                    Input Cal table 0=>1
AIPS 4: GAINUSE      10                    Output CAL table 0=>2
AIPS 4: REFANT        4                    Reference antenna 0=>pick.
AIPS 4: BADDISK       1        *rest 0     Disks to avoid for scratch

CLCAL4: Task CLCAL  (release of 31DEC01) begins
CLCAL4: You are using a non-standard program
CLCAL4: Using interpolation mode AMBG
CLCAL4: Processing SN table    7
CLCAL4: SN2CL: Applying SN tables to CL table   7, writing CL table 10
CLCAL4: Appears to have ended successfully
CLCAL4: rgalp8 31DEC01 TST: Cpu=     0.2  Real=     1  IO=       197