[daip] Solaris 7 - problems with a Linux disk

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Fri May 4 10:40:29 EDT 2001

Andrzej Marecki writes:
 > Dear all,
 >
 > I wonder if you have ever come across such a combination:
 >
 > 1. AIPS (ver.15OCT99) is run either under Solaris 2.6 or 7 with a command:
 >
 > aips da=taurus
 >
 > 2. Disks are allocated according to the following DADEVS.LIST file:
 >
 > -  /AIPSDA/GALILEO_1
 > -  /AIPSDA/GALILEO_2
 > -  /AIPSDA/HEVELIUS_1
 > -  /AIPSDA/HEVELIUS_2
 > -  /AIPSDA/TAURUS_1
 >
 > Galileo is Sun Ultra running under Sol. 2.6, Hevelius is Sun Ultra
 > running under Sol.7, Taurus is Linux with kernel 2.2.16.

        You cannot mix Linux and Alpha with Solaris and SGI.  The
former are little-endian machines and the latter are large endian.
This means that their numbers are in a different format and they
cannot share aips disk files.

     At NRAO we declare the Solaris machines to be at SITE (say)
NRAOAOC and the LInux machines to be at site COAOARN.  This keeps them
from mixing.  Note that you can destroy your data doing this.