[daip] problem running

Patrick P. Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Thu Mar 29 15:51:20 EST 2001

On Thu, 29 Mar 2001 13:14:42 -0500, KAREEN AKIKO MURRAY
   <KMURRAY at lan.tjhsst.edu> said:

> I'm a student at Thomas Jefferson High School.  I successfully installed
> the AIPS program,

Actually there are about 400 programs in the AIPS package, so you probably
installed a little more than you may think!

> but now the program is having problems accessing files.  When I attemted
> startAIPS,

Don't use START_AIPS directly.

The correct way to use AIPS is to:

    1) make sure LOGIN.CSH or LOGIN.SH is referenced in your startup dot
       files, i.e. for bash, zsh, or korn shells, type this:

              . /wherever/LOGIN.SH

       and then put this line in your ".profile" somewhere; or, for tcsh
       or c shells, type this:

              source /wherever/LOGIN.CSH

       and put it in your ".login" or ".cshrc" somewhere.  To figure out
       what shell you're running, type "echo $SHELL".

       This will modify your PATH and MANPATH, and do other setup stuff.

    2) Once you've done step 1, type this:

              man aips

       and read it.  It has all the options you'll need to know, and you
       can't really proceed further without reading it.

    3) For a minimal AIPS session, and to help find install problems or
       errors, do this:

             aips notv tpok pr=1

       This will ONLY start up the AIPS main program and not the other
       "helper" or server tasks.

    4) Look at <http://www.cv.nrao.edu/aips/>, in particular the
       documentation section, and *especially* the "Cookbook".  This will
       show you how to use AIPS.

> I got two terminals

Normally, AIPS will start up the following:

    a) The AIPS session itself, will prompt via "?" for VLA user number,
       (see $AIPS_VERSION/DOC/TEXT/USERNO.LIS) and give a ">" prompt once
       you're in; this is the POPS interpreter.
    b) The AIPS "TV" or image display window, otherwise known as XAS (X
       AIPS Server).  It is forked off as a separate process.
       Will not start if you say "aips notv".
    c) the AIPS "Tek" server; appears in an xterm and allows line graphic
       displays (like the old tektronix green-screen CRT terminals).
       Will not start if you say "aips notv".
    d) the AIPS "message" server; also appears in an xterm by itself, and
       will show messages from any forked AIPS tasks (you can run them
       asynchrously, see HELP DOWAIT inside aips).
       Will not start if you say "aips notv".
    e) The AIPS TVSERV, an invisible TV lock daemon; its job is to handle
       the requests from multiple AIPS tasks and sessions in talking to
       the AIPS TV (XAS, see above).
    f) A set of TPMON daemons, for allowing remote AIPS systems to access
       your local FITS disk and your local tape drives.
       Will not start if you say "aips tpok".

The XAS, TEKSRV, MSGSRV, and TVSERV daemons can all be shut down cleanly
from inside AIPS itself by typing "KLEENEX" instead of "EXIT" when you
want to exit the POPS interpreter in the main AIPS session.

				- Pat
--
  Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.                   Division Head, CV Computing, NRAO
  Home: http://www.chien-noir.com/      Work: http://www.cv.nrao.edu/~pmurphy/