[daip] Unexpected abort

Craig Walker cwalker at aoc.nrao.edu
Tue Mar 20 12:44:49 EST 2001

This is a report of an incident when AIPS aborted when it probably
should not have.  I restarted AIPS and am proceeding, so there I
am not in need of a fix, but thought you'd like to know.

I was running FITLD on a VLBA correlator distribution tape (BW043F).
I realized after starting FITLD that the units of FQTOL are kHz, not
MHz as they are for SELFREQ.  So I decided to abort and start over.
The data set contains observations near both 12 and 15 GHz.  I was
trying to select only the 15 GHz data.  I'll do 12 GHz in a second
pass.

Here is what happened:

>abort fitld
uc
AIPS 1: Begin check for any 'standard' scratch files
AIPS 1: HI FILE VERSION  1 DID NOT SELF-DESTRUCT ON COMMAND
AIPS 1: Scratch files -- destroyed:    1  still active:    0
>uc
AIPS 1: Catalog on disk  1
...            !   (directory listing deleted from this record)
>getn 27
AIPS 1: Got(1)   disk= 2  user=1913   type=SC   SCRATCH FILE.FITLD1.1
>zap
AIPS 1: I WON'T DESTROY ON DEFAULT DISK OR TYPE INDISK, INTYPE=  0 SC
AIPS 1: NO DESTROY
>getn 28
AIPS 1: Got(1)   disk= 2  user=1913   type=UV   BW43U_J00_15.MULTI.1
>zap
AIPS 1: I WON'T DESTROY ON DEFAULT DISK OR TYPE INDISK, INTYPE=  0 UV
AIPS 1: NO DESTROY
>ind 2
>zap
AIPS 1: ZSTAIP: Dismounting local real tape drive 1
AIPS 1: ZABORS: signal 11 received
AIPS 1: ABORT!
Illegal instruction
pingora<66>%
pingora<66>%

I understand the reasons that the ZAPs did not work, but I've included
them here in case they were interacting in some weird and wonderful way
with the abort to cause the problem.  Anyway, everything was more or
less as expected until the ZSTAIP line.  I have no clue why the tape
was being dismounted, unless this is part of the action when AIPS aborts.
I also don't know why AIPS aborted.

Here are the FITLD inputs:

>inp fitld
AIPS 1: FITLD:  Task to store an image or UV data from a FITS tape
AIPS 1: Adverbs         Values            Comments
AIPS 1: ----------------------------------------------------------------
AIPS 1: INTAPE        1                    Input tape drive # (0 => 1)
AIPS 1: NFILES        0                    # of files to advance on tape
AIPS 1: INFILE     *all ' '                Disk file name (FITS only)
AIPS 1: OUTNAME    'BW43U_J00_15'          File name (name)
AIPS 1: OUTCLASS   'MULTI '                File name (class)
AIPS 1: OUTSEQ        1                    File name (seq. #)
AIPS 1:                                       0 => highest unique number
AIPS 1:                                         => matching (on VLBA)
AIPS 1:                                      -1 => FITS tape value
AIPS 1: OUTDISK       2                    Disk drive # (0 => any)
AIPS 1: OPTYPE     '    '                  Type of data to load,
AIPS 1:                                    '  ' => all types
AIPS 1:                                    'UV' => UV data
AIPS 1:                                    'IM' => images
AIPS 1: NCOUNT       18                    Number of files to load.
AIPS 1: DOTABLE       1                    True (1.0) means load tables
AIPS 1:                                    for images.
AIPS 1: DOUVCOMP     -1                    >0 => compressed data (FITS)
AIPS 1: DOCONCAT      1                    >0 -> if VLBA or uv table,
AIPS 1:                                    append data to existing
AIPS 1:                                    files, or if no appropriate
AIPS 1:                                    files exist create a new file
AIPS 1:                                    and append all data to that
AIPS 1:                                    file.
AIPS 1:                                    *****************************
AIPS 1:                                    Following adverbs are useful
AIPS 1:                                    only when reading VLBA
AIPS 1:                                    distribution tapes.
AIPS 1:                                    *****************************
AIPS 1: CLINT         0.5                  CL entry interval (min)
AIPS 1:                                    0 => 1 minute.
AIPS 1: SOURCES    *all ' '                Source list to accept.
AIPS 1: QUAL         -1                    Source qualifier -1=>all
AIPS 1: TIMERANG   *all 0                  Timerange selected
AIPS 1: BCHAN         1                    Lowest spectral channel
AIPS 1:                                    number to select in each IF.
AIPS 1:                                    0=>1
AIPS 1: ECHAN         0                    Highest spectral channel
AIPS 1: ** press RETURN for more, enter Q or next line to quit print **
#
AIPS 1:                                    number to select in each IF.
AIPS 1:                                    0=>highest
AIPS 1: BIF           1                    Lowest IF number 0=>1
AIPS 1: EIF           0                    Highest IF number 0=>all
AIPS 1: DIGICOR       1                    Controls the application of
AIPS 1:                                    the VLBA correlator's digital
AIPS 1:                                    correction.
AIPS 1:                                    0 or 1 => perform corrections
AIPS 1:                                    2 => perform cross-power
AIPS 1:                                      corrections, do total-power
AIPS 1:                                      only if zero padding used.
AIPS 1:                                    -1 => do NOT perform
AIPS 1:                                      corrections.
AIPS 1:                                    SEE HELP for more details
AIPS 1: DELCORR       1                    If >= 0 enable the second
AIPS 1:                                    order correlator delay
AIPS 1:                                    corrections to be applied
AIPS 1:                                    during processing.
AIPS 1:                                    SEE HELP for more details.
AIPS 1: SELBAND      -1                    Bandwidth to select (kHz)
AIPS 1: SELFREQ    15280                   Frequency to select (MHz).
AIPS 1:                                    See HELP.
AIPS 1: FQTOL      1000                    Frequency tolerance assigned
AIPS 1:                                    to SELFREQ, FITLD will select
AIPS 1:                                    data with freq. of SELFREQ
AIPS 1:                                    +/- FQTOL.
AIPS 1:                                    The unit of FQTOL is kHz.
AIPS 1:                                    <=0 => 10 kHz
AIPS 1: WTTHRESH      0.8                  Flagging threshold based on
AIPS 1:                                    weights. See HELP.
AIPS 1:                                    0 => no flagging
AIPS 1:                                    1 => will flag ALL data
AIPS 1: OPCODE     '    '                  Specify if wish to keep VT
AIPS 1:                                    (VLBA Tape Statistics) table.
AIPS 1:                                    '  ' => do not copy VT table
AIPS 1:                                    'VT' => keep VT table
AIPS 1: NPIECE        0                    Maximum uv table piece to
AIPS 1:                                    load (ignored for tape unless
AIPS 1:                                    NCOUNT = 1)

Here is what was in the message window.  The first start of FITLD
had a wrong output file name (I think I had put the one I wanted
in INNAME!) and so ran into a duplicate name problem.  The one
leading the the AIPS abort is the second try.  Again I include
both in case there is some interaction.  You can see from the
first two message that I had just started AIPS for the first time
since my last reboot.

pingor> TPMON1: Begins on 2001.03.20 09:57:56
pingor> TPMON2: Begins on 2001.03.20 09:57:56
pingor> FITLD1: Task FITLD  (release of 31DEC01) begins
pingor> FITLD1: Reading tape drive number   1
pingor> FITLD1: Reading tape at current position
pingor> FITLD1: Correlator code version: 4.21
pingor> FITLD1:     FITLD Version 10.5.1
pingor> FITLD1:     Last updated on November 17 1999
pingor> FITLD1:     Recognize and handle OVLBI time filters
pingor> FITLD1:     Fix duplicate SU entries, result of CALCODEs
pingor> FITLD1:     Read multiple uv tables per FITS file
pingor> FITLD1:     Deal correctly with weights as an array
pingor> FITLD1:     Antenna numbers in MC table numbered correctly
pingor> FITLD1:     Read FLAG and WEATHER tables
pingor> FITLD1:     Reads a-priori information for VLBA
pingor> FITLD1:     Adjusts AN table reference frequency
pingor> FITLD1:     Can now do calibration transfer
pingor> FITLD1:     Checks for invalid calibration tables
pingor> FITLD1:     Does not round frequencies excessively
pingor> FITLD1:     Now concatenates cal transfer tables
pingor> FITLD1:     Now handles correct u,v,w labels
pingor> FITLD1:     Now handles explicit subarrays
pingor> FITLD1:     Tolerates data out of time order within days
pingor> FITLD1:     Weights now proportional to integration time for VLBA
pingor> FITLD1:     VLBA saturation correction now applied correctly
pingor> FITLD1: Data with weight <  0.80 will be permanently flagged
pingor> FITLD1: MCREAT: DUPLICATE NAME 3C84K_J00_21.MULTI .   1 BUT ON DISK  5
pingor> FITLD1: BTRTAB: COULD NOT FIND OR CREATE UV FILE FOR TABLES
pingor> FITLD1: ERROR      7 RETURNED FROM BTRTAB
pingor> FITLD1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
pingor> FITLD1: pingora      31DEC01 TST: Cpu=       0.1  Real=      25
[...]
pingor> FITLD1: Create BW43U_J00_15.MULTI .   1 (UV)  on disk  2  cno   28
pingor> FITLD1: Sky frequencies (MHz) before re-ordering occurs:
pingor> FITLD1: Incoming FREQID #   1
pingor> FITLD1: 15277.49  15285.49
pingor> FITLD1: Incoming FREQID #   2
pingor> FITLD1: 12202.49  12210.49
pingor> FITLD1: ZABORS: signal 15 received
pingor> FITLD1: ABORT!

As I said, this is for your information as it suggests there is a bug
somewhere.  My processing is going ok after restarting AIPS.

    R. Craig Walker            Array Operations Center
    cwalker at nrao.edu           National Radio Astronomy Observatory
    Phone  505 835 7247        P. O. Box O
    Fax    505 835 7027        Socorro NM 87801   USA