[daip] problem

walli at mpe.mpg.de walli at mpe.mpg.de
Fri Mar 9 12:17:41 EST 2001

Hello Eric,

Thanks for your quick reply.

>      I am assuming that the "archive people" (VLA analysts they
> are called) read the archive data into a computer here and then wrote
> it out with FITTP.  Otherwise UVLOD and/or FITLD would not work.  The
> archive itself is in VLA format and requires FILLM to convert it to
> AIPS format.

Yes, I suppose the VLA analysts wrote out the archive data to a FITS
file.  I can tell it's a FITS file by looking at it in ascii.  Then I
read it into AIPS format with FITLD.

> system.  The CookBook suggests that you begin with 2 things.  Could

I am following the cookbook in section 4.2 and Appendix B.  It does not
mention the verb IMHEADER.  Am I looking at the wrong sections?

> you run them and send me the output?  One is the AIPS verb IMHEADER on
> each of the UV files, the other is LISTR with OPTYPE='SCAN'.  The
> former tells me what files are attached to your data, the latter tells
> me about their contents.  The INPUTS to the LISTR that failed might
> also tell me something.

Okay.  Thanks for stepping me through this.

The output from imheader is:

>imheader
AIPS 1: Image=MULTI     (UV)         Filename=AM243.880708.CH 0  .   1
AIPS 1: Telescope=VLA                Receiver=VLA
AIPS 1: Observer=AM243               User #=    1
AIPS 1: Observ. date=08-JUL-1988     Map date=09-MAR-2001
AIPS 1: # visibilities    103000     Sort order  TB
AIPS 1: Rand axes: UU-L-SIN  VV-L-SIN  WW-L-SIN  BASELINE  TIME1
AIPS 1:            SOURCE  FREQSEL  WEIGHT  SCALE
AIPS 1: ----------------------------------------------------------------
AIPS 1: Type    Pixels   Coord value     at Pixel     Coord incr   Rotat
AIPS 1: COMPLEX      1   1.0000000E+00       1.00  1.0000000E+00    0.00
AIPS 1: FREQ         1   4.8742142E+09       1.00  9.3750000E+06    0.00
AIPS 1: STOKES       1  -1.0000000E+00       1.00 -1.0000000E+00    0.00
AIPS 1: IF           1   1.0000000E+00       1.00  1.0000000E+00    0.00
AIPS 1: RA           1    00 00 00.000       1.00       3600.000    0.00
AIPS 1: DEC          1    00 00 00.000       1.00       3600.000    0.00
AIPS 1: ----------------------------------------------------------------
AIPS 1: Coordinate equinox 1950.00
AIPS 1: Maximum version number of extension files of type HI is   1
AIPS 1: Keyword = 'OBSCHANS'  value =           64
AIPS 1: Keyword = 'CORRMODE'  value = '1A      '
AIPS 1: Keyword = 'SELCHANS'  value =           63
AIPS 1: Keyword = 'VLAIFS  '  value = 'A       '

And the LISTR command still does not work:

eeyore> LISTR1: Task LISTR  (release of 31DEC01) begins
eeyore> LISTR1: TABINI: REQUESTED FQ FILE   1 DOES NOT EXIST
eeyore> LISTR1: FQINI: ERROR INITIALIZING FREQUENCY TABLE FOR READ
eeyore> LISTR1: NO MATCH TO SELBAND/SELFREQ ADVERBS - CHECK INPUTS
eeyore> LISTR1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
eeyore> LISTR1: eeyore       31DEC01 TST: Cpu=       0.0  Real=       0

The commands:

> default listr
> task 'listr'
> indi 1; getn 1
> optyp 'scan'
> docrt -1
> go

The entire list follows:

>inp
AIPS 1: LISTR:  Task to print UV data and calibration tables.
AIPS 1: Adverbs         Values            Comments
AIPS 1: ----------------------------------------------------------------
AIPS 1: USERID        0                    User number.
AIPS 1: INNAME     'AM243.880708'          UV data (name).
AIPS 1: INCLASS    'CH 0  '                UV data (class).
AIPS 1: INSEQ         1                    UV data (seq. #).  0 => high
AIPS 1: INDISK        1                    Disk unit #.       0 => any
AIPS 1: OPTYPE     'SCAN'                  List type:
AIPS 1:                                     'MATX','LIST','GAIN','SCAN'
AIPS 1: INEXT      '  '                    CL, SN or TY table for 'GAIN'
AIPS 1: INVER         0                    CL, Sn or TY table version
AIPS 1: SOURCES    *all ' '                Source list
AIPS 1: CALCODE    '    '                  Calibrator code '    '=>all
AIPS 1: TIMERANG   *all 0                  Time range to list
AIPS 1: STOKES     '    '                  Stokes type to list.
AIPS 1: SELBAND      -1                    Bandwidth to select (kHz)
AIPS 1: SELFREQ      -1                    Frequency to select (MHz)
AIPS 1: FREQID       -1                    Freq. ID to select.
AIPS 1:                                    None selected => 1.
AIPS 1: BIF           0                    Lowest IF number 0=1
AIPS 1: EIF           0                    Highest IF number
AIPS 1: BCHAN         1                    Low channel number 0=>1
AIPS 1: ECHAN         0                    High channel number
AIPS 1: ANTENNAS   *all 0                  Antennas to list
AIPS 1: BASELINE   *all 0                  Baselines with ANTENNAS
AIPS 1: UVRANGE       0           0        UV range in kilolambda
AIPS 1: SUBARRAY      0                    Subarray, 0=>1
AIPS 1:                                    Cal. info for input:
AIPS 1: DOCALIB      -1                    If >0 calibrate data
AIPS 1:                                    = 2 calibrate weights
AIPS 1: GAINUSE       0                    CAL (CL or SN) table to apply
AIPS 1: DOPOL        -1                    If >0 correct polarization.
AIPS 1: BLVER        -1                    BL table to apply.
AIPS 1: FLAGVER       0                    Flag table version
AIPS 1: DOBAND       -1                    If >0 apply bandpass cal.
AIPS 1:                                    Method used depends on value
AIPS 1:                                    of DOBAND (see HELP file).
AIPS 1: BPVER        -1                    Bandpass table version
AIPS 1: SMOOTH     *all 0                  Smoothing function. See
AIPS 1:                                    HELP SMOOTH for details.
AIPS 1: DPARM      *all 0                  Control info:
AIPS 1:                                    (1) 0=amp, 1=phase, 2=rms
AIPS 1:                                        3=amp+rms, 4=phase+rms
AIPS 1:                                        5=amp+phase, 6=delay,
AIPS 1:                                        7=rate, 8=SNR, 9=par. ang
AIPS 1:                                        10 = Tsys, 11=elev,
AIPS 1: ** press RETURN for more, enter Q or next line to quit print **
AIPS 1:                                        12 = multiband delay
AIPS 1:                                        N.B. Options 3 and 4 only
AIPS 1:                                        valid for OPTYPE = 'MATX'
AIPS 1:                                    (2) 0=vec avg, 1=scalar
AIPS 1:                                    (3) No. col (4-10) def=4.
AIPS 1:                                    (4) avg. time min (MATX,LIST)
AIPS 1:                                    (5) Type of gain listings:
AIPS 1:                                        0 => all with same scale
AIPS 1:                                        like DEC-10 listings;
AIPS 1:                                        1 => scan/source info at
AIPS 1:                                        source/scan boundaries.
AIPS 1:                                    (6) Matrix scaling control:
AIPS 1:                                        0 => plot amp & rms
AIPS 1:                                        matrices with same scale;
AIPS 1:                                        1 => self-scale each
AIPS 1:                                        separately.
AIPS 1: FACTOR        0                    When DPARM(5)=0 Multiply
AIPS 1:                                    gain listings by FACTOR,
AIPS 1:                                    0=> use scale factor from
AIPS 1:                                    first record printed.
AIPS 1: DOCRT        -1                    > 0 -> use the terminal,
AIPS 1:                                    else use the line printer
AIPS 1:                                    > 72 => terminal width
AIPS 1: OUTPRINT   '                                                '
AIPS 1:                                    Printer disk file to save
AIPS 1: BADDISK    *all 0                  Disk to avoid for scratch.

Thanks for any input you may have.

cheers,

Leslie