[daip] GGR and PW files

Eric Greisen egreisen at NRAO.EDU
Fri Jun 29 20:35:33 EDT 2001

Vincent McIntyre writes:
 > Dear Aips-meisters
 >
 > We have a multi-workstation install of aips, and all workstations
 > share disks with one another via nfs. The 'master' machine is called ATLAS.
 > Yesterday I inadvertently deleted these two files
 >        /AIPS/DA00/ATLAS/GRD000000;
 >        /AIPS/DA00/ATLAS/PWD000000;
 > and this resulted in all sorts of havoc. The host subdirectories in DA00 all
 > have a link to these files, e.g.
 >
 > atlas% ls -l  /AIPS/DA00/PUPPIS/GRD000000\;
 >  lrwxrwxrwx   1 aipsmngr aipsusr       31 Jan  2 16:16
 >           /AIPS/DA00/PUPPIS/GRD000000; -> /nfs/AIPS/DA00/ATLAS/GRD000000;
 >
 > I was able to repair things by copying /AIPS/31DEC99/SOL/GRD000000\; and
 > PWD000000\; into the right place, but I have no idea why this helped,
 > apart from allowing the symlink chain to be resolved.
 >
 > Can you explain to me what the function of these files is please?

       The GR file is used to record "gripes" - normally now one does
not bother with that but just uses e-mail.  Note that the GRIPE verbs
actuall records in the GR file and e-mails to daip.

      The PW file is actually used - to hold passwords.  As you start
AIPS is has to look in PW to see if the requested user has a password
and if so to verify it.  With failed links the error handling might
not be sufficient to procede - on a single machine site a missing PW
will not cause a failure.  The only passord pre-recorded in the PW file
is the aips manager user 1.

You found the correct repair without our help in any case.  That is
why there is the TEMPLATE area.