[daip] help!

Patrick P. Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Tue Jun 19 21:01:26 EDT 2001

On Fri, 15 Jun 2001 11:11:31 -0400, AIPS users account
   <David.Moffett at furman.edu> said:

> ... need help with INSTEP 1 (we are truly sad)

Not really, but you might be better off using the install.pl script.
INSTEP1 has not been updated for 31DEC01.

> g77 and gcc compiler on a Sun Ultra 10.

This will work, provided you modify FDEFAULT.SH, CCOPTS.SH and LDOPTS.SH
in $SYSLOCAL before doing any compiling, so that the GNU compiler options
are used and not the Sun Native compiler ones.  A recent change (about a
week ago) made it so that there is a stripped-down architecture-specific
version of FDEFAULT.SH in your $SYSLOCAL now.  You might want to re-fetch
the 31DEC01 tarball and install.pl script if it's been several weeks since
you got the copy you currently have.

But the performance you'll get on such a system with gcc/g77 will be about
on a par with a Pentium 400Mhz system.  You probably know this, but you
can buy Athlon based 1.3GHz Linux systems for $1700 or less (complete),
with 256 megs ram, 20 or more Gbytes disk, which will run the AIPS
benchmarks about 5-6 times faster (IIRC).

> Also, INSTEP1's attempt to ftp/download the binaries failed (didn't find
> them - why is that?).

For 31DEC01, which is changing daily, we do not generate binaries nightly;
only the tarball is re-generated every night.

> I noticed that there is a ZTRLOG.FOR program in directory
> /AIPS/31DEC01/APL/DEV/,
> is that what INSTEP is looking for?

Nope; it used to make a symlink from $SYSLOCAL to $APL<something>/ZTRLOG.C
(where the <something> can be UNIX or something more specific).  Again,
install.pl now does this stuff and is what you probably should be using.

				- Pat