[daip] UVIMG and TVFLG

Marc Verheijen verheyen at uwast.astro.wisc.edu
Tue Jun 19 20:18:52 EDT 2001

Hi aip,

today I got my data tape from Socorro and I had no problem reading the
data (HI spectral line, 2AC, 31 chans) onto my local disk on a Linux
box. However, when I run UVIMG or TVFLG, these tasks seem to hang up
my aips session at the point when they start creating (scratch)
files. For instance, TVFLG does not continue beyond

espres> TVFLG1: Task TVFLG  (release of 31DEC01) begins
espres> TVFLG1: Begin finding a list of times to enter the grid
espres> TVFLG1: Found   789 time intervals to grid, so
espres> TVFLG1: begin gridding the data to a temporary TVFLGR file
espres> TVFLG1: Create AZ124_01    .TVFLGR.   1 (MA)  on disk  1  cno   26

while TVFLG.EXE keeps on using all the cpu time. My aips tv remains
blank. Also UVIMG does not continue beyond

espres> UVIMG1: Task UVIMG  (release of 31DEC01) begins
espres> UVIMG1: Create TEST_01RR   .UVIMG .   1 (MA)  on disk  1  cno   25

while it keeps using all available cpu.  I have waited for 1-2 hours
before aborting these tasks. Other tasks like UVPLT and LISTR work
just fine on the same data files; the headers and data are accessible.

Next, I have loaded the data onto a SGI machine without problems and
on that slower machine, UVIMG works ok; it finishes in just a few
minutes (1 channel). I haven't tried TVFLG yet because I have no access
to the console.

So, using the same tasks on the same data with the same inputs works
ok on an SGI machine but they fail on my Linux box. The Linux machine
is a Dell Precision 420 workstation with two 1GHz processors and 512MB
of RAM. It is running RedHat 7.1 and apparently, AIPS installed
without a hitch, although I did not install it myself.

I am wondering if you have received similar reports from elsewhere or
if you have any suggestion for solving this problem. I doubt that
byte-swapping issues are involved because I have read archive data
before on a Linux box without any further problems and UVPLT can find
the data just fine.

Many thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Marc