[daip] Component Light Curve

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Wed Jul 25 11:42:07 EDT 2001

Garth McCormick writes:

 > Just a quick query (I hope). If one has a map with a core and several
 > components, is there an AIPS task which will give flux measurements for
 > one component only over the time of the observation. My supervisor swears
 > there is (but he cannot remember the name). Nobody else is sure.

     I am not sure what you mean: " flux measurements for one
component only over the time of the observation".  Since the only data
AIPS has is over the time of the observation, anything it tells you
about a source isonly over that time.  In uv data, all sources within
the single-dish beam are seen together so the fringe visibility is the
sum of all fluxes decreased by any interference between them at the
particular fringe spacing.  Task DFTPL will phase shift uv data to
center on some selected point and then plot the fringe amplitudes vs
time.  The amplitudes will be affected by the interference from
sources not at that point and the peak flux will be the sum more or
less of all sources in the single dish beam.

In the image plane, after IMAGR, one can select a region with BLC/TRC
and measure the flux with IMSTAT or task IMEAN.  A non-rectangular
region may be selected and flux measured with TVSTAT.