[daip] Mapping of optical interferometric data

Christian A. Hummel cah at usno.navy.mil
Thu Jan 25 19:31:27 EST 2001

[I stripped off the FITS and PS files; they are in my login area at the
 AOC and in CV also (in /home/polaris/pmurphy/).  Files are:

 -rw-rw-r--    1 pmurphy  aipspgmr    31680 Jan 26 10:31 FKV0497.FITS
 -rw-rw-r--    1 pmurphy  aipspgmr    68041 Jan 26 10:32 map.ps

 - Pat]

Dear Colleagues,

I'm working on imaging data from the Navy Prototype Optical Interferometer
with AIPS. I simulated a data file (FITS format, attached) but have no success
imaging it in AIPS using CALIB and MX/IMAGR. It is a simple double source,
and you can see its structure by using MX on the data without running it
through phase-self cal. The problems begin when running a traditional
CLEAN/self-cal cycle. Even with a perfect model derived directly from the
data, CALIB solutions are off. This confuses me since MX produces a perfect
image if the data is not self-calibrated.

I was wondering if one of you had some time to just make an image of the
attached FITS file and send it to me. If it looks good, then I must have
done something wrong, or there is a subtle error in the FITS keywords/values
when I wrote the file. I have done these things before successfully with
single-IF files, but this one here has 20 IFs. I have mapped it very well
using difmap (map is attached), so I still can't see where the problem is.

By the way, I'm running the latest release of AIPS.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Christian.

Dr. Christian A. Hummel