[daip] trouble in starting aips

Patrick P. Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Fri Feb 23 16:14:09 EST 2001

On Fri, 23 Feb 2001 10:41:56 +0800, Ji Yang <jiyang at public1.ptt.js.cn> said:

> We encountered a problem when starting aips. The X-TV graphics screen
> does not appear.

> XASERVERS: Start XAS on orion, DISPLAY :0.0
> XAS: ***********************************
> XAS: **  No TrueColor found

What sort of system do you have (Solaris, Linux, other?) and what are the
capabilities of your X11 server and graphics card?  The server will try to
find a truecolor "visual" from the server; you can see what yours has to
offer via the "xdpyinfo" command -- which gives lots of detail.  The error
message above tells me that your X server does not have a 24-bit or 32-bit
truecolor visual available.

> XAS: **  Resorting to PseudoColor
> XAS: ***********************************

There were no further error messages, so presumably it found an 8-bit deep
pseudocolor visual.

> XAS: Using screen width height 1270 924, max grey level 196
> XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
> Shared memory id failure: Invalid argument

Ah.  You're on a Sun.  See <http://www.cv.nrao.edu/aips/aipsmgr/> where it
says:

 Shared memory id failure: Invalid Argument

    If you see this when the system is trying to fire up the AIPS TV (XAS)
    on a Solaris system, then your X11 display does not support more than
    the default of 1 Megabyte maximum for shared memory segment. If your
    monitor displays 1280x1024 or larger, the sizes of the shared memory
    segments XAS wants will exceed a Megabyte. Solution: have your
    sysadmin edit /etc/system and put this line somewhere near the end:

    set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=8388608

    While there, you may want to also add these if you have more than 64
    Mbytes of real memory:

    set ufs:ufs_HW=6291456
    set ufs:ufs_LW=4194304
    set priority_paging=1

    Only add the last one if you are running Solaris 7 or later. These
    three settings will boost your overall AIPS performance.

I think this is your problem.

>     when task such as uvplt goes, the error message:

If the XAS AIPS "tv" image display server did not start up, there's no
point in trying to send anything to it.  It's not there.

				- Pat
--
  Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.                   Division Head, CV Computing, NRAO
  Home: http://www.chien-noir.com/      Work: http://www.cv.nrao.edu/~pmurphy/