[daip] Install Problems

Patrick P. Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Wed Feb 7 12:22:42 EST 2001

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001 10:46:50 -0500 (EST), Mory <srtedg at Op.Net> said:

> Hello, I'm currently installing AIPS 31DEC00 on a Linux machine at PSU
> berks campus.

> During the install, at INSTEP4, I get this error
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ltermcap

We have not tested AIPS on Red Hat 7 yet.  The consensus among Linux
admins here within NRAO is that it's not stable enough, and we were
waiting for 7.1 before seriously considering a migration from our existing
RH 6.2 standard.

The error tells me that there is no libtermcap.a in /usr/lib.  Perhaps
this is because some RPMs were omitted in your install, or perhaps it's
due to some change between Red Hat 6 and 7 that we haven't noticed yet.

If you do see a libncurses.a (or .so) in either /usr/lib or /lib, you
could try changing the references in $SYSLOCAL/LIBR.DAT to -ltermcap to
"-lncurses" as that is known to work on Debian and some other systems.
Just try a COMLNK $AIPPGM/SETTVP.FOR after making that change.  If it
works, then you will likely be able to just restart INSTEP4.

> [root at astro INSTALL]# g++ -v

AIPS doesn't use C++.  It uses g77 (Fortran).  However:

> gcc version 2.96 20000731 (Red Hat Linux 7.0)

Red Hat got themselves in a lot of trouble for "releasing" what turned out
to be a developer's snapshot-in-time of the GNU C and associated
compilers.  The GNU people say there is no 2.96 release of gcc and that
one should use 2.95.  So I'm not sure if there may be other issues with
this.  The fact that you got as far as INSTEP4 is encouraging, however.

Depending on whether you intend to do a kernel rebuild, you will have to
be careful with an uninstall-2.96-and-then-install-2.95 for gcc.  There
are dependencies with the kernel header files and (unfortunately) I don't
remember the details.

HTH.
                                - Pat
--
  Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.                   Division Head, CV Computing, NRAO
  Home: http://www.chien-noir.com/      Work: http://www.cv.nrao.edu/~pmurphy/