[daip] (no subject)

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Wed Dec 19 11:16:37 EST 2001

Preeti Kharb writes:

 > I seem to have closed the AIPS TV window while running AIPS (or made some
 > modifications in the working environment of 'hanle1'), so that now while
 > running AIPS, I am not getting the AIPS TV window 'TVSRV1' while I get
 > 'TKSRV1' and 'MSSRV1'. The messages while running AIPS read -

    You have probably entered new .Xdefaults - but let's fix your
system files instead of the .Xdefaults.

 > XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
 > XAS: Visual not = default, create 24-bit colormap
 > XAS: Using screen width height 1270 924, max grey level 255
 > XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
 > Shared memory id failure: Invalid argument

The .Xdefaults controls whether shared memory is used and whether
8-bit pseudo color or 24-bit true color is used.  The former is very
desirable for speed reasonsw.  The latter allows more functionality
but is slower (in 24 bit).  If you change the file /etc/system
(requires root privilege and a reboot of the computer) by adding the
lines

* Large shared memory segment for AIPS TV, from Dave Brown
*   GEM, 20 Mar 98

set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=8388608

then you can enable or disable the XAS options and it will still
work.  (The solaris default max shared memory is a mere 1 Megabyte.)