[daip] beam area

Tracey Delaney tdelaney at astro.umn.edu
Wed Aug 1 16:02:08 EDT 2001

Hello,

I have a question regarding how the beam area is computed in imstat and
tvstat.  The beam parameters given in the image header are for FWHM.  The
beam area calculated from these parameters differs from the beam area
given in imstat and tvstat by a factor of about 1.44.

As an example, my beam parameters are 42.55 by 39.01 at a pa of 84.54
degrees.  I have square 14.6 arcsec pixels.  I calculate the beam area to
be 3.14*42.55*39.01/4/14.6/14.6 = 6.1 pixels.  Imstat and tvstat both give
me 8.82 pixels for the beam area.

I get the same factor of about 1.44 for any map I use.  What is wrong?

Thank you,

Tracey DeLaney