[daip] Trouble with old data directory.

Patrick P. Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Fri Sep 22 16:11:06 EDT 2000

On Fri, 22 Sep 2000 15:17:14 -0400 (EDT), "Dr. Robbie C. Dohm-Palmer"
   <rdpalmer at astro.lsa.umich.edu> said:

> I recently installed version 31DEC99 on a Redhat Linux machine. I
> installed it only for the single machine. I have a data directory full of
> maps and UV data that I want to point to.

Was this data directory generated on a little-endian system (Intel, Alpha
processors)?  I'm assuming that you're running on an Intel/Linux machine.
If so, and if the answer to my question is "no" as in perhaps it was
generated on a Sparc, then you cannot read that data area on Intel/Linux.

My records show both Sparc and Linux/Intel systems at U.Mich. in the past,
hence my question.

> AIPS 1: Catalog on disk  1
> AIPS 1:  Cat Usid Mapname      Class   Seq  Pt     Last access      Stat
> AIPS 1: Catalog on disk  2
> AIPS 1:  Cat Usid Mapname      Class   Seq  Pt     Last access      Stat
> AIPS 1: ZFIO: OPER = READ LUN = 15 NREC =       34
> AIPS 1: ZFI2: REQUEST FOR BYTES 33793 THRU = 34816 BEYOND EOF = 33792
> AIPS 1: ZERROR: IN ZFI2   ERRNO = 22 (Invalid argument)

It is of course possible, assuming this was indeed little-endian data,
that the catalog file for that user number is hosed.  In that case, you
can exit to the Unix shell, and type:

    RUN RECAT
or
    RUN RECAT DA=whatever

It will prompt you for which data area, which user number, and a range of
catalog slots (give it one larger than you know is/was there).  This will
blow away the old CAD... file for that usernumber on the given disk, and
will re-generate it based on what's there.

But don't even try this if the data is big-endian; it won't work!

				- Pat