[daip] Gabriela Castelletti

Eric Greisen egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu
Wed Sep 6 15:08:32 EDT 2000

Gabriela Castelletti writes:

 > If you could say me the answers I would be very happy!!!
 > Last month I was in the AOC. I calibrated a image of the a supernova
 > remnant. The point is that you have the 31DEC99 version of AIPS. So I ran
 > the IMAGR task with 17 fields. I used a boxfile file with the coordinates.
 > The task ran fine, then I ran FLATN with 16 of the 17 fields. The output
 > of IMAGR was correct in the sense that the files were centered fine, and
 > FLATN was ok too.
 > In my institute we haven't 31DEC99 version. We have 15APR98 and 15OCT99
 > version of AIPS. I wanted to repeat the work made in Socorro, but I had a
 > bad surprise!!!!These version doesn't work same!!! My problem was that any
 > of these versions could center the 17 field very well. The coordinates
 > for the centers doesn't correct, so when I run FLATN I get anything!!

         Can you please explain what you mean by these general
remarks?  Does IMAGR produce images with different coordinates (giveen
the same inputs) in 15OCT99 and 31DEC99 versions?  Or does FLATN do
something different?  What inputs are you using for IMAGR?

      There is nothing that I can see or remember that should cause
this in either IMAGR or FLATN.

 > My questions is about 31DEC99 version.
 > I think only this version is able to work as I need, ie, centering the
 > fields correctly to create a full image with FLATN.

       What do you mean by "centering the fields correctly"?

 > I need to know if my problem has a solution, because I'm worried about
 > it!!
 > Must I get the last version of AIPS???

         Actually 31DEC99 is not static - it is under active
development (by a very small group).  You can easily get it for your
institute.  Old versions such as 15APR98 should be dropped although
15OCT99 is still useful.  If you do get 31DEC99 then you should also
run a "midnight job" to update it occasionally.

 > There is a way for that the older version center the fields rightly???
 >
 > If I would have get the 31DEC99 version....Where is the INSTEP1
file??????

       There is a new proc for installing aips - still in beta
testing.  If we decide you need the new release I will let you know
about it.  INSTEP1 is inside the tar file that you fetch and unpack to
install a version.  The update.pl file which has been fairly well
tested would probably be what  you will need since you already have
15OCT99 installed.  But firts let's find out what is wrong.

 >           Thank you very much in advance!!!!
 > and I'm sorry because my letter is very long!!!!
 >
 >                                  Gabriela

  Actually it is too short - I need many more details to have any odea
what you are talking about.

Eric