[daip] XAS using INET

Ben Jarvis bjarvis at astro.umn.edu
Mon Nov 27 17:03:33 EST 2000

The users tell me the AIPS cookbook says that AIPS will only allow one
INET sockets based XAS session at a time, but allows 0-Z UNIX sockets.
Is it still true that there is a limit of one INET session, and if so,
why?  We've been having problems involving one user starting AIPS
without specifying tv=local:0, then anyone else that runs that way
can't get any XAS/MSGSRV/TEKSRV windows because the first user is
already running them.  Other times /tmp fills up with XAS sockets which
are never removed and eventually users get "No free sockets" when they
try to start up.  I thought using INET sockets instead would be a good
way to rememdy some of this, but if it only takes one connection at a
time, I'm not so sure.  What's the best way to manage all these
sessions issues?

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Jarvis[bjarvis[at]astro[dot]umn[dot]edu]
System Administrator