[daip] Re: A couple of questions.

Patrick P. Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Tue Nov 21 11:46:45 EST 2000

On Mon, 20 Nov 2000 15:10:18 -0700, Eric Greisen
   <egreisen at cv3.cv.nrao.edu> said:

> Andrea Tarchi writes:

>> Mainly we had to set the DISPLAY before running AIPS, otherwise no TV was
>> provided (first strange thing).

> The deafault in the aips startup proc is to go to $DISPLAY.  If that is
> not set then how is it to know where to go?  This is not a change.

See the manual page on AIPS (man aips) or type HELP AIPS from within the
AIPS program itself.  The details about what the TV= command line option
does are relevant to your case.

The setting up of the DISPLAY variable is not strictly an AIPS issue; it
is up to the login scripts (.profile, .bashrc, etc) for the specific user
to either set this up, or accept the system default.  Note that if you use
the secure shell (ssh, slogin) for remote logins with X tunneling enabled,
the DISPLAY variable is automatically set for you and does not need to be
set.

<snip>

>> Then I decided to use tv=local:n; trying different n, AIPS was opening
>> more TVs (great), but when I logged out

This is important; if, as Eric said, you did not use KLEENEX to exit from
AIPS (or do the equivalent: press <escape> in the XAS TV, press control-c
in the message server window, use the xterm "quit" option for the tek
server and then type "exit" in the main AIPS xterm), then it is quite
likely that any other "log out" mechanism is not terminating your AIPS
session and/or the four main servers correctly.  This will likely leave
residual lock files around, causing the symptom you mentioned.

>> ... AIPS was complaining that the UNIX Socket were all taken, ...

<snip>

> The thing that remembers is the procs XAS1, MSGSRV1, etc on machine A
> for local TV 1, etc etc.  There are socket files in /tmp but they go
> away when you exit (NOT kill -9 by the way).

If your login scripts define the TMPDIR environment variable, the sockets
are created there instead.  This can be problematic.  See the source to
UNIXSERVERS.

> I think you can have 36 - one Inet and 35 Unix ones.

This is correct.

> Is there any relation between such problems and the ssh2?

Quite likely.  If you are not using X tunneling, I suggest you do so.  In
this case, you also want to make sure your login scripts on the remote end
do *not* override or delete the DISPLAY definition that such tunneling
automatically generates for you.  Finally, if your desktops are unix or
linux machines, you should make sure you define the environment variable
AIPSREMOTE to be "ssh", if this piece of START_AIPS is not doing the
equivalent for you:

if [ -f $HOME/.ssh/authorized_keys ] ; then
   REMOTE_CMD=ssh
else
   REMOTE_CMD=rsh
fi

				- Pat
--
  Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.            Division Head, Charlottesville Computing
  (804) 296-0372, 296-0236                National Radio Astronomy Observatory