[daip] Problem with AIPS installer

Patrick P. Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Tue Nov 21 10:29:25 EST 2000

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000 12:46:45 +0100, Sergio Molinari
   <molinari at ifsi.rm.cnr.it> said:

> I would like to install AIPS (31DEC99 release) on my Linux system
> (RedHat 7). I have downloaded the 31DEC99.tar.gz and the install.pl
> files, but when I try to run the install script I get the following
> errors:

> require: Command not found.
> require: Command not found.
> Badly placed ()'s.

First, let's make sure that you have a good version of the install.pl
file.  Its MD5 checksum is 45bc69229b34f0f924888c4dbbfd133a; giving the
command "md5sum install.pl" should show this.  If yours matches the string
above exactly, then you have a good copy.

Second, how exactly are you "running" the script?  The first line of the
script says "#!/usr/local/bin/perl" which you should probably change to
"#!/usr/bin/perl" on Linux.  Or you could run the script as:

     perl ./install.pl

As for Red Hat 7, we have not yet installed AIPS on a Red Hat 7 system,
mainly due to Red Hat's controversial use of a development snapshot of the
GNU compilers (the so-called 2.96 version).  I know for a fact that people
using gcc 2.95 (and the associated g77 fortran compiler front-end) have
had no problems in building AIPS with it, but I have had no reports of
people trying 2.96.

				- Pat
--
  Patrick P. Murphy, Ph.D.            Division Head, Charlottesville Computing
  (804) 296-0372, 296-0236                National Radio Astronomy Observatory