[daip] AIPS - DBCON + IMAGR

Patrick P. Murphy pmurphy at NRAO.EDU
Tue Nov 7 11:15:43 EST 2000

"RNM" == R Niruj Mohan <niruj at rri.res.in> writes:

RNM> We have 15OCT99 version of AIPS running on our machine. I know we
RNM> should upgrade to 31DEC99 but there is a meeting coming up next week
RNM> and there is tremendous pressure to get final images etc out !

I'm appending some of the changes made to DBCON since the 15OCT99 release,
so you can realize there have been many changes made.

RNM> The problem with the 15OCT99 we have is this :

RNM> I have C and D array data on an object and I want to concatenate it
RNM> and make a single image. So I use DBCON to create a C+D uv file.

Can you show us (a) the output of IMHEAD on the separate C and D uv data
catalog entries, and (b) the inputs you used to DBCON, especially the
values of REWEIGHT, DOPOS, FQTOL, and DOARRAY.  We need a complete picture
like this before it's possible to comment on the specifics of what went
wrong.

Also, I'll assume the C and D array data are *not* multiple source files.

RNM> When I image it using IMAGR, the MSGSRV indicates the correct number
RNM> of total visibilities it takes, but the image is only of the first uv
RNM> file used in DBCON

What are your IMAGR inputs?  In particular, what FREQID did you select?
There are a lot of inputs to IMAGR and a lot of opportunity to have one
not quite right...

RNM> ...  I copied the latest (30DEC99) DBCON.FOR and compiled it and used
RNM> it

This is dangerous.  The subroutines and libraries in the 31DEC99 version
of AIPS have changed sufficiently that I would expect this sort of thing
to not necessarily produce trustworthy results.

RNM> Am I right ? If so, is there a quick temporary way out, like a patch

We are not releasing patches for 15OCT99 any more, unless they are
extremely serious.  We recommend using 31DEC99

RNM> (I noticed that all the patches for the older AIPS have been removed
RNM> from the webpage)

This was an oversight (and perhaps us being a little too zealous about
encouraging use of 31DEC99).  I've put a reference to the patch page
back.  The very first one is a DBCON patch, FWIW; maybe this will help.

RNM> Or can you tell me which of the new IMAGR-related files of 30DEC99
RNM> version should I copy over and compile and therefore cheat a bit ?

Trust me: it's easier to get the 31DEC99.tar.gz file, the install or
update perl script, and run that way.  It would take far longer to figure
out the bits you need, and longer again to squeeze them in.  That approach
is just not worth the effort.

				- Pat

 ------------------------- fixes to DBCON in 31DEC99 --------------------

10434.  November 22, 1999             DBCON                 Eric
        DBCON forgot that the number of output correlators can exceed
        the number of input in 1 of the 2 data sets.  It also did not
        zero the right array to help cover that.  Fixed.
        Moved nowhere: should go to patch.

10519.  February 29, 2000               DBCON                 Eric
        1. Changed code and help to remove the claim that it did
        frequency independent phase shifts unless DOPOS was 2.0.  It
        did the right phase shift but would refuse if the two files
        were not in the same sort order and DOPOS>1.
        2. Changed it to examine the FQ tables and renumber the FQs if
        needed in output UV data, and output FQ, CL, and FG tables.
        Moved nowhere.

10522.  March 7, 2000                DBCON                 Eric
        DBCON did not scale the u,v,w's for any frequency difference
        between the two data sets!  This is okay, so long as they are
        not multi-channel.
        The error message about frequencies not matching was wrong.
        It came out when it should not rather than when it should.
        Moved nowhere.

10529.  March 16, 2000               DBCON                    Eric
        For 2 single channel data sets the u,v,w are already in
        wavelengths at whatever freq they were actually observed.  One
        does not want to change the u,v,w therefore - making the fix
        of March 7 partly wrong.  Backed out the extra mutiplication.
        Moved nowhere.

10532.  March 21, 2000              DBCON                      Eric
        The recent change to handle FQ numbers properly put a road
        block into the attempt to combine data with different
        bandwidths as if they were the same.  DBCON now - rightly -
        makes them into 2 FQs.  Added FQTOL to adverbs to allow the
        task to ignore FQ when told to (-1) or to use FQTOL (kHz) to
        decide whether FQs are the same.
        Moved nowhere.

10553.  April 19, 2000          CookBook                  Eric
        Updated WHATSNEW.HLP and CookBook chapters 4, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10,
        and 13 plus the consequent changes to the Index and table of
        contents.  TVSLICE et al, DBCON, SPFLG, UJOIN, FILLM and
        DOCAL=2, ICHANSEL were the causes of the changes.
        Moved nowhere.

10560.  April 27, 2000           DBCON                    Eric
        DBCON attempted to copy CL and FG tables with translation of
        FQ and source numbers and times.  It failed if only one of the
        two files had a file of this type.  It also did not fix the
        subarray and did not use the correct time offset.  Added a
        TABCOP to fix the missing file problem and fixed the calling
        subroutine to send in correct time offset and a new subarray
        offset and fixed DBCAPP to do the subarray offset.
        Moved nowhere.

10561.  April 27, 2000            DBCON                   Eric
        DBCON also had an error when combining LL data with an rr/ll
        data set and writing the result out in compressed form.  The
        output (compressed) LREC was used to zero the accumulation
        buffer not the LREC prior to compression.  This does not
        matter unless some input correlators are not present so that
        values are not filled in.
        Moved nowhere.

10583.  June 2, 2000                  DBCON                Eric
        Changed the test on coordinate rotation so that an angle of
        1e-6 and 0 would be regarded as close enough to each other
        (!)  Cleaned up the code some too.
        Moved nowhere.

10648.  August 2-3, 2000        ZOPEN                     Eric
        When ZOPEN returns an error code 1 (already used in FTAB) this
        means that some file is open with that LUN.  To use that LUN
        for some other purpose at that point allows that other purpose
        to overwrite the original file - the users data in FITAB for
        example.  It is never right to mask this error.  Changed
        maksing of this error in:
        AMERGE  EXTINI  IMGERR  RELPOP  TABINI  UVPREP  UVPROT
        ALGSUB  ONV1    CONV3   GRDMEM  UVTBGD  PASS1
        AHIST   BSROT   CLIP    CORER   CORFQ   CPYRT   DIFRL   DIFUV
        FUDGE   HISEQ   REMAG   SDLSF   SDMOD   TAFFY   TBAVG   UVBAS
        UVCMP   UVLSD   UVLSF   UVMTH   UVPOL   WTSUM   XBASL   XGAUS
        XMOM    XPLOT   XSMTH   XSUM    ACCOR   AVER    AVSPC   BASRM
        BLAVG   BLOAT   BSFIX   BSMAP   BSMOD   CANDY   DAYFX   DBCON
        DECOR   DESCM   DTCHK   FETCH   FILLM   FILLR   FLGIT   FXTIM
        FXVLA   GLENS   IMFLT   IMLIN   IMMOD   INDXH   M3TAR   MANDL
        MK3IN   MODVF   MULTI   MWFLT   NINER   NNLSQ   PATGN   PCCOR
        PHNEG   PHSRF   RESEQ   SBCOR   SDTUV   SELSD   TI2HA   UJOIN
        USUBA   UVAVG   UVCOP   UVCRS   UVDGP   UVFIL   UVFIX   UVGLU
        UVLIN   UVMOD   UVNOU   UVSIM   VBCAL   VBGLU   VBMRG   VLBIN
        WTMOD   BLCAL   BPASS   CALIB   CPASS   FRING   GRIDR   LPCAL
        PCAL    SDIMG   APCLN   APGS    APVC    SDCLN   STEER   UTESS
        UVMAP   BLANK   BLSUM   IMVIM   IBLED
        Moved nowhere - INSTEP4 to be done.

10652.  August 10, 2000              DBCON                  Eric
        One of the ZOPEN calls corrected a few days ago had an error
        test of IRET (set to 1 at that point) while ZOPEN returned
        IERR.  The correction to allow only 0 caused DBCON to have a
        hard-coded failure.  Sigh...
        Moved nowhere.