[daip] no tv screen on local workstation

Chiara Giorgieri giorgier at brera.mi.astro.it
Tue May 23 03:22:49 EDT 2000

Dear sir,
	I installed the binary version (SUL) of 15APR99 AIPS on Solaris 2.6
(and 2.7) workstations, but we have problems with the TV screen.
When I open aips from a workstation defined with a + in the HOSTS.LIST (i.e.
"host runs AIPS and can/will run a TV server"), the window titled "X-AIPS tv
Screen Server 98 - INET" does not apears, while if the workstation is defined
as = ("host is an X11 display terminal") and I rlogin to another workstation,
all three windows open.
Since I have no idea of what's going on, I include the output of two sessions,
both executed sitting in front of the workstation named ishtar. The first one
(which doesn't open the TV screen) is run on ishtar itself, which is defined
in the HOSTS.LIST as:
+  ISHTAR     SUL     OAB      NONE        Ultra 30 (248MHz)
Then I changed the definitions as follow:
+  MILES      SUL     OAB      NONE        Ultra 30 (248MHz)
=  ISHTAR     SUL     OAB      miles       Ultra 30 (248MHz)
and run the second session (the TV Screen opens!) from a telnet to the
workstation miles.
Could you tell me what is wrong?

One more question: I installed the "Ultra" precompiled version, but then
realised that all tape drives are on Sparkstations: may I just install the
executable(s) that read the tape, or do I have to install the whole aips for
the non-Ultra-2 architecture (or rather to move the tape on a newer
machine...)?

Thank you,
	Chiara Giorgieri
Osservatorio Astronomico di Brera       e-mail: giorgier at brera.mi.astro.it
Via Brera 28                            Tel.:   +39-02-72320335
20121 Milano (Italy)                    Fax:    +39-02-72001600