[daip] Re: AIPS question (what else???)

Eric Greisen egreisen at nrao.edu
Mon May 15 18:26:51 EDT 2000

Joanne M. Attridge writes:
 > Hi Eric,

 > fritz.> CXCLN1: Task CXCLN  (release of 31DEC99) begins
 > fritz.> CXCLN1: Create 279-COMPLEX .QCLN  .   1 (MA)  on disk  7  cno   15
 > fritz.> CXCLN1: Create 279-COMPLEX .UCLN  .   1 (MA)  on disk  7  cno   16
 > fritz.> CXCLN1: AP SIZE TOO SMALL FOR PROBLEM
 > fritz.> CXCLN1: CXLEAN: ERROR COMPLEX CLEANING Dirty image
 > fritz.> CXCLN1: Purports to die of UNNATURAL causes
 > fritz.> CXCLN1: fritz        31DEC99 TST: Cpu=       0.2  Real=       2
 >
 > The only thing I can think of is that "AP" is the array processor. If
 > not, please correct me - if so, now what?

      It is - except that we now use software to emulate an AP.
Fortran requires memory to be pre-alocated although we now have ways
to dynamically allocate memory.  Unfortunately, there are lots of
vector subroutines that use the older pre-allocated memory scheme.
there are also less intelligent tasks like CXCLN that do not use the
memory all that well.  CXCLN requires an AP size of 100 + 4 * NX * NY
words.  Thus to do a 2048x2048 CXCLN takes 16 Megawords + a bit - clse
to the 80 Megabyte AP we create in our largest machines.

    there is an include file: PAPC.INC that is used to set this.  Move
a copy from $INC to $INC/NOTST/$ARCH and edit it as needed.  COMRPL
$APLGEN/ZDCHIN, $QOOP/*.FOR $QPSAP/*.FOR

Then COMLNK $AIPPGM/SETPAR and $all .FOR in QPGM, QPGNOT, QPGOOP QYPGM
QYPGNOT.  Of course, you nee to have memory in your machines to
support it (and swap space).

Alternatively, choose a smaller size image for CXCLN.

Have fun, Eric