[daip] AIPS installation trouble

NAKANO Makoto mnakano at oita-cc.cc.oita-u.ac.jp
Tue May 9 00:56:58 EDT 2000

Dear Sirs,

I am now trying to install AIPS 15OCT99 in my machine.

	SITE = 'OITA'
	installed from binary CD-ROM provided by NRAO
	OS: Linux 2.0.36
	Intel machine with no tape devices

After normal installation procedure, we tried to start aips
as follows.  What is wrong ?

> [aips at void aips]$ aips
> START_AIPS: Your initial AIPS printer is the astrolp
> START_AIPS:  - system name lp, AIPS type PS
>
> START_AIPS: User data area assignments:
>   (Using global default file /home/aips/DA00/DADEVS.LIST)
>    Disk 1 (1) is /home/aips/DATA/VOID_1
>
> Tape assignments:
>    Tape 1 is REMOTE
>    Tape 2 is REMOTE
>
> START_AIPS: You seem to be at a workstation called void
> TVDEVS.SH: Starting TV servers on void asynchronously
> TVDEVS.SH:  - with Internet Sockets...
> TVDEVS.SH: Starting TPMON daemons on VOID asynchronously...
> Starting up 15OCT99 AIPS with normal priority
> Begin the one true AIPS number 1 (release of 15OCT99) at priority =   0
> AIPS 1: You are assigned TV device/server   1
> AIPS 1: You are assigned graphics device/server   1
> AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
> ?XASERVERS: TVSERV is already running on host void, user aips
> XASERVERS: Start XAS on void, DISPLAY :0.0
> XAS: ** TrueColor FOUND!!!
> XAS: Using screen width height 1142 800, max grey level 255
> XAS: ***  Using shared memory option for speed ***
> XASERVERS: Start graphics server TEKSRV on void, DISPLAY :0.0
> STARTPMON: [VOID] Starting TPMON1 with output SUPPRESSED
> TPMON1: error in loading shared libraries
> : undefined symbol: __bzero
> XASERVERS: Start message server MSGSRV on void, DISPLAY :0.0
>
> AIPS 1: Enter user ID number
> ?1
> Password:
> AIPS 1:                          15OCT99 AIPS:
> AIPS 1:      Copyright (C) 1995-1999 Associated Universities, Inc.
> AIPS 1:            AIPS comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY;
> AIPS 1:                 for details, type HELP GNUGPL
> AIPS 1: This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
> AIPS 1: under certain conditions; type EXPLAIN GNUGPL for details.
> AIPS 1: Previous session command-line history recovered.
> AIPS 1: TAB-key completions enabled, type HELP READLINE for details.
> AIPS 1: ZFIO: OPER = READ LUN = 27 NREC =        1
> AIPS 1: ZFI2: REQUEST FOR BYTES 1 THRU = 1024 BEYOND EOF = 0
> AIPS 1: ZERROR: IN ZFI2   ERRNO = 22 (Invalid argument)
> AIPS 1: DISK PROBLEM

I think I can ignore the error message from TPMON1, because my machine
have no tape device, but AIPS says "DISK PROBLEM".
I tried to use 'uvlod' to load FITS file from disk, but failed.
Followings are the exitting message from AIPS.

> >exit
> AIPS 1: Begin check for any 'standard' scratch files
> AIPS 1: ZFIO: OPER = READ LUN = 15 NREC =        1
> AIPS 1: ZFI2: REQUEST FOR BYTES 1 THRU = 1024 BEYOND EOF = 0
> AIPS 1: ZERROR: IN ZFI2   ERRNO = 22 (Invalid argument)
> AIPS 1: CATOPN: CATALOG IO ERROR    3 DISK  1 RECORD    1
> AIPS 1: ZCLOSE: LUN = 15 ALREADY CLOSED IN FTAB ON SEARCH
> AIPS 1: DESCR: ERROR    3 DISK  1 SEARCHING CATALOG
> AIPS 1: Scratch files -- destroyed:    0  still active:    0
> AIPS 1: DESCR: encountered   1 errors in doing this
> AIPS 1: ZFIO: OPER = READ LUN = 15 NREC =        1
> AIPS 1: ZFI2: REQUEST FOR BYTES 1 THRU = 1024 BEYOND EOF = 0
> AIPS 1: ZERROR: IN ZFI2   ERRNO = 22 (Invalid argument)
> AIPS 1: CATOPN: CATALOG IO ERROR    3 DISK  1 RECORD    1
> AIPS 1: User    1:   284 messages, oldest written 06-MAY-2000  19:14:55
> AIPS 1: Deleted      0 messages
> AIPS 1: ZFIO: OPER = READ LUN = 27 NREC =        1
> AIPS 1: ZFI2: REQUEST FOR BYTES 1 THRU = 1024 BEYOND EOF = 0
> AIPS 1: ZERROR: IN ZFI2   ERRNO = 22 (Invalid argument)
> AIPS 1: Session command-line history saved.
> AIPS 1: void         15OCT99 TST: Cpu=       0.0  Real=     106
> [aips at void aips]$

I would appreciate to get your suggestion.
Thanks in advance,

Makoto Nakano
Oita University, Japan
E-mail:  mnakano at cc.oita-u.ac.jp